1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Linksys wireless access point router- have some questions

Discussion in 'Networking' started by xfile47, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Bought a box on a sale and it had a Linkssys Wirelss Access Point Router in it. My question is can I use this just as I would a linksys wireless G router to setup a home network. If so, what is the difference between a router and a access point router? This is a Linksys wireless access point router 2.4 GHz Data Rate 11 Mbps, so I guess my whole question is this.

Can I use this just as I would a wireless G Linksys router which I am used to setting up. and if so can I just use the same cd that comes with the wireless G router to set this one up, on the cd it gives you a chice of what router you using. this one hasn't got the cd with it. Maybe someone could explain the difference or point me to a site that will tell me in layman terms.

says it is a Instant wireless series, model NO, befw11s4 VER.2
    Supports Universal plug and play , capable of up to 128-bit WEP encryption
    access your network remotely over the internet through VPN ETC

2. jmwills

jmwills

An access point is bascially a wireless router without the DHCP and security capabilities. The AP would obtain those resources from the router.

3. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

So without the DHCP Capabilities I could n't use it as a regular router like I use my linksys G router for a home network cause it wouldn't pass out the ips then, or am I understanding you wrong.?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You have a normal 802.11b wireless router, it's not an AP. You set it up just like any other router, but note that the wireless is 11mbit, not 54mbit like the 802.11g routers.

You don't need any CD to configure a router, and it will usually only confuse things. The router has a complete web based setup program that is accessible using your web browser.

5. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Thanks , John Will , your an inspiring person, I will close this thread

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Inspiring? [​IMG] STOP, your embarrassing me! :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/694196

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice