1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Linksys WRT54GS router mystery

Discussion in 'Networking' started by shobuz99, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shobuz99

shobuz99 Thread Starter

I recently (July 07) purchased a wireless Linksys router wrt54gs, with speed boost.
    I have used Linksys in the past; but only wired routers, i.e. befsr81, befsr41, etc.
    and never had this problem.

After installation of the wireless, I chose to get into the router control and setup port forwarding (applications & gaming section). When i got to the Basic setup screen, I saw a screen with missing text, links, and tabs, i.e. Administration, Applications, Setup, etc.
    None of the controls or description text is displayed on my desktop.
    I began to wonder if the firmware upgrade was required, so I called their tech support.
    The short story is they were of No help whatsoever. They tried to tell me to upgrade the firmware; but I couldn't do that if the tab links to that page were not visible or available to me. Anyway, I was able to figure out what page the Upgrade was on by looking at the HTML code source from the front page of the router sw. (There was a link to the port forwarding section.. all it was, was an '&' that was displayed on the screen.
    I had to guess what the names of the fields were, to forward the ports when I got to that page.)

I upgraded and it made no difference. Still couldn't see the tabs or any links on the screen.
    I even looked through all the .js files and html files associated with the router pages.
    Nothing that could tell me about the display requirements or anything.

In the mean time, I had installed my son's laptop as authorized to use the wireless (gave him a key code to connect).
    Once I got on his machine, I brought up the router screen and EVERYTHING WAS THERE!
    I could see all the tabs, text, and the links were all there and available.

This means to me, that my display settings must be low resolution, i.e. dpi or screen size too small. So I changed them on my (desktop) machine, to the same settings that my son's
    laptop were... identical. It made no difference. (32bit, 1280x768, 96dpi, etc.)

My son has a Dell laptop, that I bought 2 years ago.
    I have a custom built desktop with a Dell display using an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000.

I have also tried running the router menu in both Firefox 2.0.0.8 and IE7, on my desktop.
    Same results. I can't see anywhere in either of those browsers where the settings would block the router tabs, text, links etc. from being displayed.

I'm at a total loss for what to look at. Am I being REALLY stupid here? I keep thinking that
    the solution must be simple...but I can't figure it out.

Anyone ever hear of this? Anyone have any advice?
    Could this be just a case of a display that's not able to handle
    the graphics? My desktop display is a Dell 15"...
    Thank you again for reading this long post.. I apologize for its length.

2. shobuz99

shobuz99 Thread Starter

Ok. Must be this is a dumber than usual question.
    I'm starting to think that it's simply a display issue and nothing more...
    (Unless the Linksys firmware is fashioned around higher res displays?)
    Maybe I should take this to the hardware section?
    My apologies..

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You have the wrong "d" word--this isn't dumb, it's difficult!

Depending on what you have available, try different router LAN ports, try a different cable, try connecting your computer via wireless, or try connecting a different computer via ethernet.

In other words, my suspicions and guesses are not better than yours, just different; I suspect that there is a hardware problem preventing the info from getting through properly. Could be your NIC or motherboard also.

But, you may say, web pages display fine. Yes, but I bet they don't get there as quickly as pages from the router. Bottom line is, I'm just trying to think of something to try.

4. shobuz99

shobuz99 Thread Starter

TerryNet

Thank you for.. well, answering.

It IS difficult. Like I said, I can view the router screen tabs properly from my son's Dell laptop,
    but from my desktop they disappear!
    The one thing I keep coming back to is the display; because when I view my son's screen with VNC Viewer, I have to scroll left and right as well as top to bot to see everything.
    That means to me that his screen display field is simply better resolution, like say 1440x900 or something like that... whereas my desktop is 1280x768.

I agree with you that I should "try different router LAN ports, try a different cable, try connecting your computer via wireless, or try connecting a different computer via ethernet".
    I'm just not sure how to do that in an order that helps me logically eliminate them, one by one... Inotherwords: get confused about which I did first vs. what results. Pretty tedious.

I do appreciate your help and I do thank you for thinking about this.
    I was hoping that by posting this that someone else has/had experienced the same thing.
    Believe me, I've been googling several forums and product help forums since July. I've barely gotten any suggestions... mostly "Go away" comments :D

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and start trying your suggestions, one by one.
    Anyway.. thanks again.
    BTW.. is it permissible to post screen shots here? I could post both from my desktop and from my son's machine... if it would help to see the issue...???

5. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Actually, it is probably the version of Internet Explorer or operating system you are using. Until a recent update the D-Link DIR655 would not work with IE7 or Vista. I had to use IE6 and WinXP to get to the router.

Incidentally, never configure a wireless router wirelessly. Only do it through an Ethernet port.

Courtney

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Screen shots are fine, but as a "Junior Member" you may have to make a few more posts before you are allowed to do so.

7. shobuz99

shobuz99 Thread Starter

Thanks Courtneyc.
    When I got into the router software (192.168.1.1) via my son's Dell laptop (wireless), I used Firefox 2.0.0.8 and IE7. Both displayed the tabs, text, and links properly.
    However, when I did the same thing on my desktop, trying both of the same browsers/versions, the tabs, text, and links do not appear.
    I'm not running a D-Link at home. I am using one of those at the office, but don't have any router issues there (thanks to John Will's help!).
    My home machine is a wireless wrt54gs. I have XP Home version, custom built desktop with an old Dell 15" display. The desktop is connected to the router, wired, from a cable modem that carries a digital phone port as well. Come to think of it, I wonder if that might be something to look into.... hmmm..
    The router is configured as wired through an Ethernet port, not wireless.
    Thanks for your suggestions.

8. shobuz99

shobuz99 Thread Starter

Terrynet,
    Ok.. fair enough. I do appreciate your continued consideration of this problem for me. It still bugs the daylights out of me, that's for sure!

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since both FF and IE are failing on the machine, there is probably a common element. I'd be thinking along the lines of some firewall or security application blocking JAVA or JAVA script requests.

Try booting in safe mode with networking and see if you can see the tabs.

10. shobuz99

shobuz99 Thread Starter

John,
    That's an interesting idea. I did check the firewall I use (EZ Armour) on my desktop,
    in the Programs/components section. It listed JAVA and JScript as "allow"; but Javascript was not listed anywhere in that section.

I has a strange thing occur with regard to the router page (192.168.1.1) on the laptop.
    I got a message, when I clicked on a tab, that said I needed to install the Chinese Font...
    I clicked OK, but nothing changed...weird What do you make of that?

11. JohnWill

I'd try disabling and/or uninstalling ALL firewalls and see if that helps.

Did you try booting to safe mode with networking to see if it works there as I suggested?

12. shobuz99

shobuz99 Thread Starter

I haven't used safe mode in a long time.. I can't remember if browsers work in safe mode..do they? I guess I should have a go at it and take a look.
    I'll let you know.
    Thanks again..

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    At least IE should work in safe mode with networking. Note that John and I both said "with networking."

14. shobuz99

shobuz99 Thread Starter

John, Terry

You're suggestion was a good one.
    I booted to Safe Mode with networking and then opened Firefox browser and
    went to 192.168.1.1... and BAM! there it was. All the tabs, text, etc. were displayed
    in their full glory. I neglected to check if the links were working; however, all the text
    for the links was displayed. So.. what does that mean? Is this a display issue?
    Should I look at settings somewhere or do I just need a bigger screen with higher resolution?

Thank you very much for helping me debug this. I did take screen shots last night and
    I have posted them temporarily on this web link if you want to take a look: http://www.oldsutlerjohn.com/routerscrs.htm (I do web maintenance for this site)

Thank you again..

15. JohnWill

This is unlikely to be a router issue, since the same restrictions would exist for safe mode. This is almost surely some security or firewall application on the machine blocking the access.

Please post a HijackThis 2.00.2 Log here.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!