1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Linux distros auto-detect drivers > So, why won't WinXP Pro auto-detect my dr

Discussion in 'Networking' started by HalleluYAH, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HalleluYAH

HalleluYAH Thread Starter

Please tell me how to get Windows XP Pro to auto-detect my drivers & utilities on my Dell computer like Linux has done during the installation-process?

So far, Windows XP Pro hasn't auto-detected any of those things (listed below), like Linux did almost immediately after I installed it on my Dell Laptop computer:

• Ethernet controller
    • Multimedia Audio Controller
    • Network Controller
    • PCI Modem
    • Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

ALSO: Please tell me if I downloaded drivers from that Dell computer onto a CD would that CD have to be a "data CD" in order for my computer to detect the drivers I have burned on the disc? or would that CD have to be a non-Data CD (example: "Bootable CD"), which runs the programs and installs the drivers automatically after it's inserted in the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM)?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Form a company to write a Windows clone, and include the drivers for all the hardware. :)

You just need a data CD to transport the drivers, or even a USB FLASH disk...

3. HalleluYAH

HalleluYAH Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll do so. I'll install those drivers now.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755839