Solved: Linux Installation With Windows

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sportscrazy

I just had a quick question before I installed Linux on my PC. Yes, I looked it up and everything agreed with the idea that Linux is compatible with Windows, but I just want re-assurance. Is there anyone who run's both OS's? Do they work well? Any problems or concerns? And also can I un-install Linux without having to go great lenghts or losing files? :confused: Thanks in advance for your feedback!

People regard me a greedy ******* because I help myself too much in Linux. However I could be a good example to show you the relationship of Windows and Linux.

I run 3 Dos (6.22, 7.10 & Freedos) , 3 Windows (98, 2k & XP), 95 Linux, 5 BSD and 2 Solaris all in one box booted by one Linux boot loader.

Just a tip of the iceberg of things you can do in Linux.

I have one data partition accessible by all systems.

If you run a system you are confined within the root partition (or drive "C" in Windows term). Windows mount all partitions it recognises and assign drive letter "D", "E etc. Windows does not support Linux and would not mount its partitions so no damage from Windows side.

Mounting Windows partitions in Linux is optional and can be done at every log in. Current Linux read but not write on NTFS partitions so Win2k and XP systems files cannot be damaged by Linux. Fat16 and Fat32 are both read and written by Linux in exactly you would write them in Windows.

Nervous newbie should run a Linux Live CD first before installing it into the hard disk. That way you can find out if all the hardware work first. Many Live CDs are also installable.

I run many dual boot machines.
1. XP & SuSE
2. XP & Simply Mepis
3. XP & Kubuntu
My primary computer at the moment is #2 - and I've never had a problem...

sportscrazy

I'd love to have linux but my parents need the computer for work and it's only windows they work with! So you guys are basically saying I should install it, but try the livecd first and then decide? Oh...and also how can I uninstall Linux, you know, just in case...

awalker0878

Removed by request
just install windows first and then linux. The bootloader for microsoft was not designed for anything dual-booting exept microsoft

sportscrazy

I already installed windows and now I'm going to install Linux. But my final question is How can I un-install Linux if I need to? :confused: Sorry if I'm missing the answer somewhere in these posts...Can you point me to it? Thanks! :D

awalker0878

Removed by request
to uninstall use the windows xp setup cd and use diskpart to delete linux partition (reconized as unknown FS) and use fixmbr to write new mbr code.

awalker0878

Removed by request
sorry this is where it gets complicated.:eek: MBR (Master Boot Record) part of first 512 bytes (other part is partition table) is the code which instructs the computer what bootloader to use (grub, lilo, microsoft) and what partition it resides on. In order for linux to boot it must be on the first 100 mb give or take of your harddrive. When you install linux it overwrites the mbr code and loads the correct bootloader if linux is uninstalled the mbr will be unable to load the bootloader because it resides on the partition that was deleted. You need to rewrite the mbr code so it will load ntldr (windows bootloader) on the windows boot partition.

sportscrazy

I think I understood that. So how do I re-write the MBR code to load the windows bootloader? Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to explain this :D

awalker0878

Removed by request
the fix the mbr code insert windows xp cd, boot into windows xp setup on first screen you will have the option to continue on to setup or go into recovery console hit r to go recover console follow on screen instructions.

When you get to the prompt type fixmbr that will rewrite the mbr for Microsoft (make sure you delete all linux partitions before).

sportscrazy

Ok, I feel stupid, but I just remembered I have 2 hard drives, I'll moves the files from my 20 gig drive to the 40 gig drive and use the 20 gig for my Linux system...Is that a good idea? And is there a way I can have both connected and then choose at startup of which one I want to run? Or if not I can always just remove the master wire and connect it to the one I want...but I'd love it if there was a way to pick which one to boot...

And also what is the difference between SUSE and ubuntu?? :confused: Are they both Linux? I'm sooo confused!!! :confused:

sportscrazy

I downloaded the SUSE Linux but everytime I try to install it freezes at the part when it installs (or tries to) the boot loader and I also tried College Linux and it freezes on some other point and the installation on that one is too complicated...Anyone have a good linux (friendly Linux, not advanced) version's link? I'm lost...Thanks :D

sportscrazy

I downloaded the SUSE Linux but everytime I try to install it freezes at the part when it installs (or tries to) the boot loader and I also tried College Linux and it freezes on some other point and the installation on that one is too complicated...Anyone have a good linux (friendly Linux, not advanced) version's link? I'm lost...Thanks :D
Anyone? :confused:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online