1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Linux Mint and Older Computers

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by lastrachris, Jul 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lastrachris

lastrachris Thread Starter

I came across an older PC running a Pentium 3GHz dual core processor, and about 1GB or RAM. I ordered more RAM, because having near the mark of 4GBs is a little more up to par with what I'll be using it for. My question is how can I make it so that this computer runs as effectively as possible? I put the newest version of Linux Mint on it. Aside installing PreLink I haven't done much of anything to it. It is however up to date. I just plan on using it to host a small Minecraft server for my friends. Any tips?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The motherboard supports 4GB of RAM? And you paid how much for that?

3. lastrachris

Around $40. It was a resale shop. Someone thought it was broken and just wanted to get rid of
    It. Any tips on how to speed it up?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Speed up a 3 GHz dual core processor with 1 GB RAM running Linux Mint? I would expect that to be extremely fast, but maybe my standards are just too low. Is it really slow for those specs, or are you just looking for perfection?

5. lastrachris

It has an older 40GB hard drive, so it's a possibility that I'm just too use to my solid state. Opening folders, and things of that nature take a couple seconds. It's very likely my computer I built has spoiled me. Nevertheless, are there anyways to make it really perform well?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I don't know of any performance improvement tips. If the problem is mainly the disk access time you would need to replace with a faster disk.

7. lastrachris

I think I'm just impatient with it. I was hoping though there was somethings you could do to it to make it run faster, but I guess not. Thanks.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1062021