1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: linux to windows

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by dinoco, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dinoco

dinoco Thread Starter

A frend of mine switch my computer from windows XP to Linux Ubuntu .He then moved away and I am not that good with computers and i get lost with Linux.
    Ijust want to go back to windows but I don't know how. I have my original windows discs but when i try to boot off of it I just get a black screen. What do i need to do?:confused:

2. new tech guy

new tech guy

Do you have a way of contacting this friend, maybe he left an image of your drive or in other words, a copy of your previous installation of windows xp as it was when he wiped and loaded linux. If so ask him where it is and he may be able to help you restore it. :). If not, are these cds the ones that came with the pc or your own windows xp disc?

3. dinoco

dinoco Thread Starter

I don't know how to get hold of him. Yes the disc are the ones that came with my PC.

4. new tech guy

new tech guy

Ok, then when you run them i suggest you back everything up on the pc that you want to keep currently. As for the system, when you get these blank screens, you want to make sure you are booting to your CD drive. To do this you will need to access the bios. Usually if you press the f2 key at startup, it will take you to your system's BIOS utility for setup of the system. However, each computer's BIOS is slightly different so you will want to refer to the owners manual of the pc on how to access the system's BIOS settings. Or, in some cases if you look on the bios screen there may be a way to tell it where to boot the machine. I think this key is typically f12 which you repeatedly press at startup. Once this screen is accessed you want to access the pc's disc drive. Again, some machines may be different and the owners manual should clarify my instructions.

5. dinoco

dinoco Thread Starter

Thanks I will try that.

6. new tech guy

new tech guy

I forgot to mention when you make these changes also give the discs a chance to load as they may be reading data during those black screens, i know acronis trueimage has a short term with a black screen, if given a few moments it will continue to load the program.

7. dinoco

dinoco Thread Starter

I tried to boot off the CD again . It says to boot off the CD press any key, so i did that and it then says inspecting your computers configurations and the it goes to a
    black screen. So I let sit like that for about 15min nothing happens. Do you got any
    more ideas?

8. new tech guy

new tech guy

During this time is your CD-ROM drive spinning? Usually if you listen for it or look for its activity light. if its dark, hmm then we may need to format the drive. This disc prompt confirms me the disc is reading. Only downfall is once you format your drive is blank. So be sure to backup data first.

9. dinoco

dinoco Thread Starter

The disc is spinning and the LED is lit up

10. new tech guy

new tech guy

This is during the black screen? if so then it is reading, and you should simply let it read the disc.

11. dinoco

dinoco Thread Starter

I have back up all the things I still want and I don't know if it matters but I have an MDG

12. dinoco

dinoco Thread Starter

How long should I have to what . I have reinstalled it before (when it was still windows) and i never waited at all.

13. new tech guy

new tech guy

Ok i think i know what is going on. It is not recognizing the drive format on the cd. Therefore we need to throw a drive format of NTFS on the disc drive. BTW, what is an MDG? If you have files such as images, text files ...etc you would like to keep you simply need to copy them to some media such as an external hd or flash drive. Then We need to format the hard drive to either NTFS of FAT32. there are instructions here or i can somehow send you a bootable iso you could burn to a cd and perform the action that way.

14. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

new tech guy, Booting from a CD has nothing to do with the file system on the hard drive.

15. dinoco

dinoco Thread Starter

Ok would it help if you had my E-mail (MDG is the manufacturer )
    and i seam to remember somethimg about a 64bit something ????
    does this help?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595395

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice