1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Linux Ubuntu on a server

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Magician595, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Magician595

Magician595 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have recently bought a HP Proliant DL165 G7 server and thought it might be nice to try out Ubuntu as a server rather than sticking with boring old windows server 2008. (I currently only use it to host Minecraft)
    I used version 12.04 on a CD and it went on no problems. Installed and everything works, a few drivers and it was happy.
    The problem I am having is that it does not shutdown/restart. It will log you off and close remote connection and go through a shutdown routine, ending on the purple screen of Ubuntu. But there is freezes. It will not completely power off on its own, and will also no restart for the same reason.
    I am wondering if there is an important driver I have missed or if Ubuntu just isn't compatible with that particular server, but I can see no reasons why not.
    Are there any suggestions you may have? Or information I can provide further to aid a diagnosis?

Many thanks,

James

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

Can you shutdown issuing this command:

sudo shutdown -h now

3. Magician595

Yes, yes I can.

How come that worked, what does the '-h' enforce?
    I have always used 'sudo shutdown now' which of course got itself stuck.
    Is there a restart one that will do the same?
    Also, you have my gratitude. This saves me doing a hard reset every time I want to reboot for updates!

James

4. Magician595

Ah, I now see that the machine ceases the OS but does not power off the machine, so -h tells it to halt.

Once again many thanks for your help.

5. prunejuice

prunejuice

sudo reboot

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085148

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice