1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Liquid cooled cpu and gpu

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by the_man550, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. the_man550

the_man550 Thread Starter

Hi

I want to have liquid cooling on my next computer with these parts cooled:
    CPU; Intel Q6600
    GPU; BFG 8800GTX OC2

I'm going to have the

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Chassis/fulltower/armor_lcs/ve2000bws.asp

and the

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Cooler/TMG/CL-W0153/cl-w0153.asp

Which can also be said as:
    Thermaltake armor LCS
    and their water block made for 8800gtx:s

My question is:
    How do you line them up?

is it like:
    pump-cpu-gpu-pump?

or like; pump-cpu-pump-gpu-pump??

How? :O

If you know anything else that's important to know when you're buying your first liquid cooled computer?

This is a HUGE problem for me and I can't seem to find any solution, so THANK YOU for all help

2. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

First, good choice<g>. I use the TT armor Ls, and its a lovely case. The water cooler unit is pretty easy to fit, and you get a lot of choice where it goes. The GPU again, a faultless choice- I got 2 of the 880GT OC2 kicking Crysis into a state of frenzy!

As regards setup, its pretty much up to you. The radiator on the LS is huge, and will keep pretty much all the heat down happily. I think the best bet would be pump- CPU- GPU- Rad-Pump, to keep the cooling greater. If you can get hold of another rad, then go fo rpump_CPU-RadpGPU-rad-Back to pump, to get as much heat dissipation as possible. You just have to remeber you are looking for one continuous loop that includes everything before going back to the stast.

As regards the exact set up, a few pointers. With the 8800, removing the original heat sink is pretty easy. Turn it over, and take out all the screws with a spring behind them, theres about a dozen and more than likely all black or silver. When you take off the heatsink watch out, theres a cable linking the fan and mainboard- when you lift it off, see which side pulls a little, and work accordingly. its alittle 3 pin connector, and it can be pulled out, but it takes a little force, thats normal.

As for the case set up, couple of pointers. When you fit the radiator, I found it was easier to put the in/out points at the top of the case. Depends where you want the pump to sit, but for me it was better that way. Before you assemble anything, think about locations- the pump fills from the top, and you need access there. The drilled holes in the base of the case are useful, but with a large GPU, you need to be aware of the amount of room you dont have down there. Also think of where the tubing goes, make sure there is enough room for it to go around without kinking- if you constrict the flow with a kink, you reduce the effectiveness an awful lot.
    Dont cut tubing until you get a dry fix in- put main compoents in loosely, and see what goes where. and DONT cut any tubing until you are 100% it is right, or possibly a little too long, you can always cut a wee bit more off.
    If you want to see how mine went together, have a look here

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/685085-rate-my-baby-gimme-hints.html

it might give a few ideas. If you need more info, feel free to send a message- water cooling is a big step totake, but can give you a gorgeous rig :)

3. the_man550

thanks man!

Just a couple of questions:

Ehm... why should I remove the original heat sink :S?

And I still want to know how often you have to refill/change the coolant!
    To change that is quite complicated for me, as I don't have any credit card and no one sells it around here.

thanks a lot!

If it isn't to much to ask for, it would be great if we could have an instant messaging thingy thing, but that's up to you.

my msn is: [email protected]

and/or if you have and prefer steam my acc nick is the_man550

Would be great! =)?

4. the_man550

Pleeeease :rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

I assume you mean why remove the heat sink from th egraphics card? The simple answer is that the water cooler you are getting for the GPU replaces the existing one. On the GPU at the moment, yo uhave a big cooler over the board itself. You have to take this off in order to get to the chip so you can put the water cooler on it. Its pretty muich the same as a CPU water cooler.
    Like I said before, do be careful, they come off fairly easy, but any scratches or drops could kill th eboard completely. As a bit more info, the GPU has a single chip under the fan on the original cooler, and a set of memory chips arranged round it. When yo utake of the heatsink/fan. you will need to clean the GPU chip with TIM or similar, to get rid of the paste- they put a fair bit on in the factory. you may also find some heat pad like material left on the mem chps, that will come off easily with fingers.
    As far as the coolant goes, as long as you dont keep the whole sytem open and use a good coolant, you will pretty much never need to change it. The TT Armor case comes with a litre of good coolant- cant remeber the name- but theres enough to keep you goinf got about 5 years. All you will need to do is watch the level in the pump reservoir, and top it up every 2 or 3 months (asuming it needs it). Apart from that, no maintenance needed. It contains additives to stop corrosion, algae, and such like.

LAst thing, is go slowly. Make sure yo uknow where everything is, if you drop a screw find it as soon as, not a day later (by then it has evolved into a small flying thing that you will never ever find), and check everything.
    Any more qs, stick em on :)

6. the_man550

Hmm, Don't ask me why, but I somehow thought of a sink plate (you know that metal) or something, that would be on the card...omfg lol xD

I only have one question left right now:

Will I be able to fit 3 of the largest graphic cards and the pump on the bottom at all?
    Will 1 be ok?

That's kind of it.

I have a huge problem, I'm buying it from my neighbor and he's supposed to build it for me, even though I can do it myself, it's kind of more secure that way. But I don't know how to make him do it exactly my way and experiment with the cards and stuff, he's responsible for all the things you know.

I'm thinking of waiting to get the gfx part, and just cool the CPU for a while, and then buy the gfx thing together with my second GTX that I will buy in about a year or something (max)

hmm, I think I'll buy an alienware next time lol ^^

7. PCpraiser100

PCpraiser100

Jeez, can imagine the overclocking on that with liquid cooling.

8. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

One last thing... I havent had anu probs with the GPU cooling, but a local seller advised it might be worth putting some heatsink on the mem chips. He suggested a bit of aluminium plate, cut to a semicircle, and a wee blob of paste on each chip. There are plently of mounting points to attach it, and I intend getting round to it sometime.
    PcPraiser... oh, it clocks :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/685345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice