1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Liquid spilled on laptop keyboard...Please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ShanF, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ShanF

ShanF Thread Starter

Hello everyone sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum. I'm a newbie.

I spilled a little bit of milk on the keyboard of my laptop. This actually happened a few months ago, but I really need that computer up and running if possible so that my son can use it for his school work. Most of the buttons are functional but it's virtually impossible to use it with there being about 10 to 15 buttons inoperable as we are unable to spell out certain words...actually a lot of words. Other than that it runs just fine. It turns on, doesn't make any noise, and I was able to transfer files from the computer to my flash drive. My question is can it be repaired or should I just let it go? ( **fingers crossed**) Thank you all in advance :)

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Try an external Usb keyboard, if all the keys work ok with that you can fit a new laptop keyboard which will probably work ok - but that's not guaranteed.

What make and model laptop is it ? (will be written on the bottom).

EDIT : and welcome to TSG :)

3. ShanF

ShanF Thread Starter

Thank you so much. The computer is a Gateway ma8 or mL6720...sorry I don't know to much about computers and there are two model numbers on the bottom so I gave you both...lol!

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    That's fine, they seem to use both of them ! No need to be sorry, we all had to start somewhere.

Can't find much online about that laptop. For now try a Usb keybooard and let me know if it works ok and we can go from there.

I did find this which seems to be for any Gateway laptop, shows how to replace the keyboard about half way through, click to download :- http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals/Mobile/8512564.pdf
    Do the pictures resemble your laptop ?

I'm logging off now, will check back here later.

5. ShanF

ShanF Thread Starter

Yes that is my computer. You've been a big help. I'll get to work tomorrow. Thank you again and I'll keep you updated :)))

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Any progress ?

7. ShanF

ShanF Thread Starter

The external keyboard works!!! Thank you so much! I can not began to tell you how hectic it has been to share a computer with me having work to do and him having homework. Needless to say I got the boot most of the time...lol! Thanks a million!

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You're most welcome.

Are you happy to continue with the external keyboard ? You should be able to fit a new laptop keyboard if you want to.

9. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

Laptop keyboards are easy to fit. Just go on ebay and get one for your model of keyboard. Then you're removing the old keyboard using the tiny "tabs" at the very top of the keyboard - there will be 3 or 4 of them. Once they're pushed in the board should just pop out.

10. ShanF

ShanF Thread Starter

He is not very happy with it at all...lol! I think I will have to look into replacing the laptop keyboard like you're suggesting. I still have the instructions on how to do so, and I'll have my brother search for one on ebay for me since he's the ebay fanatic. Thanks a lot. I really wish I would have found this website months ago when the incident happened.

11. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    The damage was probably done very quickly and I don't think finding this site earlier would have made any difference.

Apparently it's an M8 range laptop model ML6720. If you're in the USA you can get a keyboard quite cheaply :- http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=Gateway+mL6720+keyboard&_sop=15

EDIT : the tricky part of installing a laptop keyboard is the cable, you have to careful not to bend it too much and to fit it into the connector on the motherboard properly.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!