Solved: litte fan disconnected

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gmcsierra99

Banned
i opened up my old computer tonight, just for the heck of it, and i had noticed that the little fan attached to the motherboard was disconnected? i dont know if it show be disconnected or not. thanks in advance for the help. :)

steppenwolf

Banned
what is it? how old?

a new one like from 1999 to 2005 needs a fan or it will burn out cpu

im almost sure an old 486 from 1993 whould only have a heat sink on the cpu and maybe a fan if it was 100 mhz but even then maybe not -im not sure

but i think my 90 mhz pentium one or its 120 mhxz maybe only has a heatsink and no fan

or are you talking about the case fan?
you dont need case fan but it helps

steppenwolf

Banned
id say anything over 150 mhz should have a heat sink fan or 100 mhz

at 500 mhz definatly
now they are 2400 plus mhz in 2005

gmcsierra99

Banned
yeah i got a big fan in the back, i guess thats called the heat sink.

gmcsierra99

Banned
yeah i got that one disconnected!? i dont know why or how it did, i didnt touch it. but the real big fan in the back of the computer hooked up.

gmcsierra99

Banned
i have two wires that come out of it, and i dont know where they go.

2 wires coming off the heatsink (on top of the cpu), go onto a brown slot on the motherboard near the heatsink. If you can tell us the manufacturer and number of your motherboard, we will be able to tell you exactly where to place it.

You can usually find the details printed on teh motherboard, near the white PCI slots near the bottom of your board.

I cant seem to find anything related to your motherboard. Please go to google, enter in a program called Belarc Advisor (which is free). After downloading and installing it, it gives you the full details of all the hardware related to your pc.

The top right hand corner of the program shows main circuit board. The details in here are the name / model of your motherboard. Could you also plse post the details re your cpu. This will be found on the left hand side of the page under the heading of Processor. (this is only in case your cpu does not need to have the heatsink fan installed, as mentioned in a earlier post.)

If you can then post back, either I or someone else will be able to show you exactly where the heatsink should be installed on your pc.

gmcsierra99

Banned
ok, i have to get the computer on the into the internet first. i can describe it to you the best i can.

If you have access to the internet, via another pc, (which you must have to post back), then download the belmarc advisor program to a floppy disc. Then you can install it onto the other machine in order to find out the details of your motherboard. the size of the program is around 600kb, so it will fit on a floppy with ease.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online