1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Loading Operating System....

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by SookyTurner, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SookyTurner

SookyTurner Thread Starter

Hey Guys

I need a bit of help with a computer issue that has occurredon my mate’s computer.

He kept having the screen showing ‘Windows is not genuine, Pleaseactivate’, so I went into computer system properties and activated the productkey – all worked well!

I also put Malware bytes and MSE on there as well. (Alreadyhad another anti-virus program as well)

However, now after it’s booted into Windows and seems towork fine. But after a while (very spontaneous) it will go to a black screenand shows:

Loading Operating System….

Boot from CD/DVD:

Disk Boot Failure: Insert System Disk andpress Enter

If you shutthe computer down (hold the power button on the tower) and turn it back on itwill boot fine.

So I tookMalware bytes and MSE off as it thought it may have been that corrupting ithowever this didn’t work. Did a CHKDSK and it showed nothing. Also swapped theSATA cables from the DVD player to the HDD to try an isolate this issue howeverthe screen also came back up.

So do youguys have any other things I can try? Does it sound like a corrupt registry?Failing HDD? (Although the computer is less than 4mths old) I don’t want toreinstall the OS if I don’t have to.

Thanks inadvance

Luke

2. BigTobster

BigTobster

Windows System Restore might help to iron out if it is a registry issue. Just reset back to when it was working.

Try putting another OS on the drive and booting to that 10 or so times. If it works then you know it's not the drive. If you have Windows lying around you can use that or the various flavours of Linux. Don't use Puppy Linux though as it won't be a fair test on the drive.

Which flavour of Windows is it?

Another thing to do is go into BIOS and turn off everything at Boot except for the drive. It might simply be some sort of drive ordering bug with BIOS? (improbable - I know)

3. SookyTurner

SookyTurner Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestions mate.

I think I got it sorted. This is what I think happened:

After activating Windows it has given it full accessibility. So therefore now the power plans can work properly. The power plan was set to turn the HDD of after 20mins, so I changed it to never turn the HDD off. Also went into the BIOS and disabled all other boot devices apart from the HDD.

I think the HDD must have been turning off after 20mins and then for some reason looking to the CD/DVD drive to boot from when waking up. Thats my theory anyway lol. Touch wood everything is okay.

Thanks guys

4. BigTobster

BigTobster

That is very interesting!

Just so you are aware, you can also change the power plan settings (somehow) to point it to the exact device it needs to repower when the machine wakes up. Almost certainly not worth it but if you are a save-the-penguins kinda guy then it might be worth looking into.

Glad you got it solved. Well done! Please mark as solved :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1092033

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice