1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Loading Saved Documents & folders from my XP Comp. to Windows 8.1 on New Comp

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by onevoice1255, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. onevoice1255

onevoice1255 Thread Starter

I loaded all my documents and folders from "My Documents" on my old computer (XP) and when I went to load them on my new system (8.1) only about 8 were included on the memory sticks. I used 2 sticks and assured that all the documents were loaded in full.

Any suggestions or ideas.

Thanks,
    Ron

2. Sponsor

3. CleaverX

CleaverX

So what you are trying to say is that you copied data from your XP computer on to two usb flash drives, and when you inserted those flash drives in your new computer all but a few files were missing?

4. onevoice1255

Yes, I used two flash drives as a back-up, (formatted them first) and both only transferred 8 documents out of 20 folders, documents, and files.

5. CleaverX

CleaverX

Well there is a good chance that the transfers were not complete, so just redo the backup and this time before you remove the flash drives, verify that the files are in fact there by opening a few.
    Of course you need to make sure the drives have enough space for your data.
    If you still have issues, use a program like GoodSync to create copies of your files on your flash drives.

6. onevoice1255

I think I'm going to email the files and docs to my email address and then get them that way.

I did check both flash drives to see if they had all the files...one was 8GB & one was 4GB I have about 7 files with approx. 12 'Word' docs in each...plus "My Pictures" (30 Pics)...do you think that would exceed 8GB?

Also, do you know how to disconnect the password requirement every time I log on...I'm the only one using this computer?

I appreciate your time and consideration helping me out.

Ron

7. CleaverX

CleaverX

No those files should be way less than the capacity of either drive. As for removing the password from your account, you can do that from the User Account management console, usually you can launch that from the Control Panel

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    are you using a microsoft registered email address to loginto the windows 8 pc or a local address ?

if all the files a 100% on the USB sticks - then you should be able to see them from file manager in windows 8.1
    i copy a lot of data for people from XP to Windows 8.1 and I use USB sticks to do that

however, I tend to make sure I'm not in any libraries or views - specifically in windows vista/7

so I would goto documents and settings
    choose your user name
    and copy from there

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146393