1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Local area connection doesn't have valid ip configuration

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TheHamster, May 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheHamster

TheHamster Thread Starter

Yes, another one of these. I have read through many of these threads, doing as suggested, but without resolution.

All computers can connect to an "Unnamed Network" showing as public. Computers can access others on the network and the Windows 7 computers, if manually connected, can see the others in the Homegroup. But none can access the internet.

Connecting a Windows 7 laptop directly to the modem can get to the internet.

The laptop can see and connect to both the (non-broadcasting) SSID and guest network and can see neighbor's wifi. But still can't connect to the internet.

Computers are set to automatically obtain IP and DNS. TCP/IP stack repair commands were run successfully on the Windows 7 machines. DNS Client, Network Location Awareness and RPC are all running.

None of the machines can reach or ping the router at 192.168.1.1.

This started with two computers on Tuesday evening. Then two more on Wednesday afternoon. Then the rest on Wednesday evening.

Router, modem, switches, computers have all been hard reset several times.

The following computer was built from scratch with Windows 7 and has only ever had AVG antivirus.

Attached Files:

2. tnt717

tnt717

I don't know if this will be of any help, but I was having a similar problem a while back and ended up solving it by eliminating every connection in every machine and starting from scratch. That "unnamed" network you are talking about is most like actually your own (mine was) but without any security information to identify your machines to the router you get local only. You might also check your default gateway address. Drove me crazy for about two weeks. ISP support was worthless. Good Luck!!!

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To what is "Gaming" trying to connect? If a router, the router's Dhcp server is disabled (or not working for some reason), the cable is defective, the router LAN port is defective, the NIC is defective, or there is a firewall on the PC blocking. If there is a switch between router and PC then add defective switch to the list of suspects.

4. TheHamster

Hi TerryNet,

There are a total of six computers connected to the router through three different switches throughout the house, which has built in wiring. Computers 1 & 2 (and NetTalk, a VOIP box) are connected to Switch A which lost internet on Tuesday evening. Computers 3 & 4 (Gaming) lost internet midday on Wednesday (as in the screenshot above) and is connected through Switch B. Computer 5 through Switch C and 6 is a laptop via wifi.

When 1 & 2 lost internet, I replaced the switch with a known good switch (D) as well as connecting it (via a long, known good cable) to switch B, which was still working for 3 & 4 at that time. 1 & 2 could not connect to the internet.

I have also replaced the cable between the router and modem. Twice. I have swapped cables around between router and the house box with no effect.

I did turn off Windows firewall on Gaming at one point and was still not able to connect.

None of the computers in the house can ping the router at this time, even though they are connected through it to other computers in the house.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It sounds like the router failed, one port at a time. Are you sure that any computers are communicating to each other through the router (not just through the switches)?

Can you successfully connect any computer to the router with a static or dynamic IP configuration?

Have you tried resetting the router to factory default settings?

6. TheHamster

The way the house is hardwired, the outlet in each room is wired to a box on the wall in the laundry room. From there, there is a cat5 cable that goes to the router. So switch A computers in one room can only reach switch B computers via the router.

I tried static and dynamic IP configurations last night without luck.

Yes, reset the router to factory too.

So yeah, I'm thinking the router is dying. Which sucks because it's only a year old.

Thanks for your insight TerryNet!

7. TheHamster

The story continues!

So I bought a new router on the way home on the 23rd. Installed it and everything worked again! All computers were able to connect to the Internet without a problem. Yay!

Until this past Friday. Late in the evening, I sat down at 3 & 4 and found them with the same IP problem that started this thread. I tried rebooting them, but as before, they could reach other computers on the network, but not the Internet. After about an hour, they spontaneously reconnected. On Saturday, computer 2 was disconnected for a couple of hours.

So, any other ideas on how to correct this issue? Do I need to perform an exorcism on the house? Pray to the Great Gates? Sacrifice a virgin stick of RAM to the TCP/IP Gods?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Can't think of anything else at this time.

9. TheHamster

Well dang. Thanks TerryNet.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Wait a minute.

I've been going with the last sentence in that paragraph. But I can also interpret the first two sentences as saying that there is only one cable connecting to one router port. If this interpretation is correct then the last sentence is incorrect, as that "box on the wall in the laundry room" is an ethernet switch (or hub) and all computers communicate with each other through it. If this is the case then the problem is with the "box on the wall" or the cable from there to the router.

11. TheHamster

You were reading it right the first time. The "box on the wall in the laundry room" is literally that. A box. With terminals for the Cat5 going to the various rooms in the house. It is not a switch. So there is one Cat5 cable going from each terminal inside the box to a port in the router, which sits on a shelf next to the box.

During troubleshooting, I did swap those cables around to different ports on the router to no effect.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    OK, just wanted to make sure that I hadn't misunderstood and taken us down an entirely wrong path.

Is the router on an electrical circuit that could be overloaded? Getting enough ventilation to not overheat?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1099507

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice