1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Local Area Connection doesn't have valid IP configuration.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hobbes203, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hobbes203

hobbes203 Thread Starter

I am pretty sure, from the searches on Google, that this is an infamous and difficult or easy problem in many cases to solve. In my case, it is difficult and I appeal help without being directed to Google!

The problem lies with wired networking. I am using my sister's HP touchscreen which conveniently has a wireless card built in it. The ipconfig /all will be displayed below this post. I have a Comcast Modem connected to a WRT54GX Linksys router. The router plugs into the wall, which goes to I believe another router or access point, in my parent's closet, (it has numerous amounts of Ethernet wires that I believe connects to every single wired plug in the house) further evidence is if I unplug the access point/router in my parent's closet, the LED for the wired port of the router connected to the modem ceases. I can confirm that directly connecting the computer to the router (not connecting to the wall) gives me internet access.

Can anyone give me clues or instructions to work with this? All computers cannot connect to the internet via wired connection. This problem also started when wired connected internet started to slow down drastically(the LED was blinking dimly and turns off every few seconds for wired connection), and I reset the router and modem. I also unplugged the access point/router in the closet for one night because I felt it was overheating and the LED wired connection is strong with no blinks but no internet access.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Thao-PC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-7E-42-EE-19
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 802.11n Wireless LAN Card
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-22-5F-7D-1D-8A
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f11a:7867:643c:55f9%14(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, April 18, 2010 3:01:04 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, April 19, 2010 3:18:50 PM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234889823
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-59-C3-BF-00-24-8C-5C-D8-7D

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-8C-5C-D8-7D
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::dda7:9eba:919d:d2d4%11(Preferred)
    Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.210.212(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234890380
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-59-C3-BF-00-24-8C-5C-D8-7D

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{B47FF40A-3C16-4585-848E-4107538FF297}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Tunnel adapter isatap.{911F4FEB-F1CF-4A72-B9B6-FD00B3DE67A4}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3

EDIT: I looked closer at the item in my parent's closet and identified it as a GIGAPORT Workgroup Switch made by Linksys.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Not sure whether it will matter, but what is the brand and model of the modem?

Please confirm my understanding:: the modem connects to the WAN (or Modem or Internet) port of the router and one of the LAN ports is connected to the cable that goes to the switch in the closet. From the switch in the closet ethernet cables connect to wall jacks throughout the house.

If you connect a computer to one of the other LAN ports on the router you get internet access. But if you connect the same computer to any of the wall jacks you get an APIPA (169.254.x.y IP address) as shown in the ipconfig /all.

If any of the above is incorrect, please post the correction(s) and don't start the following trouble shooting.

Try connecting the computer to the same LAN port that the switch is now connected to. Does that still give you internet access? If so, reconnect the original cable and go to the closet and try connecting the computer to the cable that is coming from the router. Does that give internet access?

3. hobbes203

hobbes203 Thread Starter

I've solved the problem. I figured that due to slower internet connection over the past days that the Linksys switch was dying so I replaced it with a semi-new Netgear switch I had downstairs for my computer and Xbox. Replaced the Linksys and done, all internet woes gone. My internet speed is noticeably faster and I don't buffer on Youtube anymore. The Linksys was used for over 5 years and is put to rest.

And yes TerryNet, your description accurately maps the setup. Your troubleshooting would have been helpful since I would think I would have a connection and therefore it would lead me to conclude that the switch was dead/dying. Thanks!

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) And, yes, I thought you'd be finding the switch or the cable between router and switch to be the defective part.

5. hobbes203

hobbes203 Thread Starter

Haha, if it was the cable, I would probably quit wired connections and use wireless because the cable from the router to the switch goes into a wall jack, all the way up to the attic (with lots of tubes for central AC) and to the switch in the closet, several rooms away. My dad did all of this and since he passed on, I pretty much fix everything around the house.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917724

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice