1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Local Folders appear as "The Internet"when opening "My Network Places"

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Aaron74, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aaron74

Aaron74 Thread Starter

G'day all,

I am hoping someone may be able to tell me why my local folders appear under "The Internet" on one of our work computers rather than under "Local Network". We have four machines, 3 running XP Home and one running XP Pro. The front machine has XP Home on it and I cannot open any of the shared folders for this machine on any of the other three machines even though they all have the same workgroup name.

They are all connected via CAT5 cable and we have a Netcomm NB5 ADSL2 modem/router, a Netcomm V300 Telephone Adapter(VOIP)/modem and an 8 port switch in the boss's office. And the front computer's folder/s and drives that I have chosen to be shared are listed under "The Internet". Does anyone know why this is and how I would go about correcting it?

Thankyou for your help and time,

Aaron :)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    From other threads I seem to recall that the shares appearing under "The Internet" is some kind of Windows "confusion" that doesn't mean anything. Can you ping that PC by IP address? By Computer Name?

3. Aaron74

Aaron74 Thread Starter

G'day,

Yes I can ping from the machine with the "confused" folders to another machine on the network but I can't ping that computer itself! I am not sure how to ping by computer name though sorry!!

4. GOTzMADsKILLz

GOTzMADsKILLz

Maybe run regedit and see if the full path name to this PC's folders is listed somewhere in the registry. To be hoenst I'm having trouble following what you mean by "The Internet" are you referring to an icon at the top of the Start Menu that says The Internet witht a little Globe where Internet Explorer and/or Outlook/Outlook Express icons would be?

So does this PC have internet access?

Also XP Home is terrible for networking it not even close to XP Pro. You should try re-running the Network Setup Wizard on the problem machine and just set the workgroup etc the same as the other PCs, sometimes this un-confuses XP Home when it's misbehaving. Also you should disable the Windows XP Firewall under Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.

Stop the service and then under properties > Disable it.

This usually fixes most common network problems on a Windows XP P2P network since half the time that stupid firewall blocks everything from printers to shares etc.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you enable file and printer sharing the Windows XP SP2 firewall is properly configured.

The inability to ping by IP address almost always is because a 3rd party firewall (or Internet Security Suite) is blocking. No point in trying anything else until you get this issue solved.

6. Aaron74

Aaron74 Thread Starter

So I need to turn off Windows Firewall to ping? Do I have to use the Network setup again on all machines with the Firewall off or just turn it off and try and ping? As far as I know we only have the software firewall within XP.

Thankyou

Aaron

7. Aaron74

Aaron74 Thread Starter

When I open My Network Places off the Start menu, the shared folders on the front computer show up as "The Internet" rather than "Local Network"as they do on every other machine! All four machines can currently access the internet yes!

8. GOTzMADsKILLz

GOTzMADsKILLz

'When you enable file and printer sharing the Windows XP SP2 firewall is properly configured."

Rarely have I seen Windows XP Firewall ever work properly. Disable it and you will have fewer problems now and in the future.

Just re-run the Network Setup Wizard on the right hand "Common Tasks" bar under My Network Places and rejoin the problem PC to the same workgroup as everyone else, then disable the Windows Firewall.

Also Terry is right.. What are you running for AV on the PC? Norton AV and McAfee and others (just the AV) still have a Worm Blocker which acts like a firewall and can cause lots of issues, just like the Windows XP Firewall. The Internet Security Suites are horrendous and should be removed like a cancerous lesion.

Although in terms of the "The Internet" problem I'd be interested in seeing if rejoining the PC to the workgroup and resetting it's Networking fixes the issue first.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You've probably just been unlucky with the Windows XP SP2 firewall, 'cause I haven't heard of many problems with it. Anyhow, XP's firewall does not block pings unless you specifically tell it to. But disabling it at least for now is an excellent way to remove one variable.

In spite of our little bickering here I think we are agreed that you wanna look real hard for a firewall, or even an unclean uninstall of Zone Alarm, Norton, etc.

10. Aaron74

Aaron74 Thread Starter

Hi, on the front computer we are running CA Internet Security, and on the others AVG 7.5 Free Edition. Do computers not need a Firewall running on a day to day basis? Or are there some that work(cooperate with O/S's and other programs) better than others? If so, could you please recommend some?

Cheers once again,

Aaron

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I recommend staying whenever possible behind a router ("natural" firewall), using Windows XP SP2 firewall or Vista's, and avoid anything that would put you at high or moderate risk of spyware or such that may send un-nice messages from your PC. Keep an AV running, and run two or three anti-spyware/anti-adware programs once in a while.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  13. Aaron74

Aaron74 Thread Starter

For the most part we use Lavasoft's Adaware and I run it every week! Also, have been told to get Spybot Search and Destroy and use this! Does that sound sensible?

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Those are the two I use, so guess I have to say it sounds sensible. :) Being a fan of free, I also use Microsoft's "Windows Defender" even though it doesn't get good reviews.

15. Aaron74

Aaron74 Thread Starter

Alright, well that sounds like a go then! I have just had a look at those other threads and I will go and disable the firewall while I try and redo the problem machine using the Network Setup Wizard making sure that the workgroup name is the same as the other three machines. THe modem/router we use is a Netcomm NB5 which according to their website has a firewall built-in.

I will post back and let you know how I get on if that's alright!!

Once again thanks for all the help and assistance!!

Aaron

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/578697

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice