1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Local Network OK, but can't find Internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Greg Bruce, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Greg Bruce

Greg Bruce Thread Starter

Good morning!

Here's a weird one for you. I'm running Win2000 Pro. It is the "server" for my home/business network. This computer I call "Family". It is attached via LAN to a desktop we'll call "Business" and a laptop we'll call "Laptop." All three are pretty much always connected. They share a network printer. They share a D-Link Router. They share an MSN external DSL Modem.

The problem:
    "Family" will no longer connect to the internet. It does connect to my local network just fine. "Business" sees "Family" on the network and vice versa. "Business" prints to the network printer via "Family" just fine. "Business" goes to the internet just fine. The same three situations are true with "Laptop". It works both ways, too. The only thing that isn't working is "Family" cannot find the internet ... not with MSN or using Internet Explorer directly.

What I've tried:
    1. Switching the network cables on the router to a different port to see if the port is bad. No change.

2. Replace the network cable on "Family" with the one from "Laptop." "Laptop" connects through wireless now. I tried both available ports on the router with the "new" cable. No change.

3. Used Device Manager to check the network card and it says it is working fine. I did not uninstall/re-install the network card.

4. My AVG Anti-Virus is up-to-date and always on. My Anti-Spyware was not -- Windows Defender wouldn't load on that machine -- so just this week I installed AVG's Anti-Spyware. It scanned and found 33 non-critical spies. I removed them anyway, hoping something would free up. It didn't.

The network works fine and the other two computers go the internet just fine so I don't think it is the Modem or the Router. It doesn't SEEM to be the network card because "Family" can see and communicate with "Business" & "Laptop" and vice versa. I'm out of ideas.

So you can reply in a helpful manner, I am NOT a network whizzzzzz. I know some very, very basic things but don't assume I know anything about anything. I'd rather start basic and fix it than overlook something that is obvious to you but not to me.

Thanks in advance. This forum is great and has been very helpful in the past.

Greg

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Does the network card have a manually entered IP address or gateway? Do the other two?

In Network Connections you can right click on the connection, do a Status and then a Repait on the Support tab.

3. Greg Bruce

Thank you for the response so quickly. I told you I'm basic, so here's my clarification questions:

You want me to go to Network and Dialup Connections. Did that.

There are three options:
    1. Make New connection
    2. Incoming Connections
    3. Local Area Connection

I right clicked on all of them and only the Local Area had a "live" status item in the menu. I clicked and there is only one tab: "General" It gives me connction info and activity info. There are two buttons at the bottom I can click: Properties or Disable. Properties gives me:
    1. Client for Microsoft Networks (checked);
    2. File and printer sharing for Microsoft networks (checked);
    3. internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

#1 & #3 have a "live" properties tab. #2 does not.

Basically, I did not find what you're telling me to look for. What now?

Greg

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

Hope I didn't miss it above in your excellent description but your "Family" is running W2K, are "business" and "laptop" running W2K or XP?

5. Greg Bruce

Thanks for the response and no, you didn't miss it.

Family is Win2K
    Laptop is Win2K
    Business is XP Pro, Version 2002, Service Pack 2

Family is IE 6
    Laptop is IE 6
    Business is IE 7

Greg

6. bigbear

bigbear

Has this happened since you upgraded Business to IE7?
    I know there has been some issues with IE7
    I think what Triple6 refers to is, click on view network connections, right click Lan or high speed internet and you should get an option to repair

7. Greg Bruce

Yes, this has been after I upgraded the "Business" computer to IE 7. However, that machine isn't the problem. And "Laptop" is still running IE6 and Win2K and it works fine.

BUT ... being the "ignorant one" here, I'll try anything even if it doesn't make sense to me.

Having said that, I need you to be more specific on "View Network Connections." Where do I click on that?

8. bigbear

bigbear

Start>control panel>network connections
    Personally I dont use IE, I prefer Firefox

9. griffinspc

griffinspc

Can you try powering all 3 PCs down, unplugging the modem and router, wait 30 seeconds and power the modem and router up, then power up the 3 PC's.

10. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
    check that the DHCP Client service is set to run automatically, just click Administrative Tools, and then Services, and then double click that DHCP client, it must be set to auto run.

11. Greg Bruce

TerryNet,

Is it SAFE to post my IP address and all the information you requested? I will and can if it will help.

I did ping the locations you suggested:
    1. ping my IP address: sent 4; received 4; lost 0;
    2. ping the address you suggested: sent 4; received 4; lost 0;
    3. ping Yahoo: sent 4; received 4; lost 0;
    4. ping my business website: sent 4; received 4; lost 0.

BIG BEAR:
    Right clicked on the Local Area Connection and compared any open and available information between "Laptop" and "Family" since they are both running Win2K. I dug all the way down into every available information setting and compared them. All the settings are identical.

There is no option (on either Win2K computer) to repair the Network Connection. That's why I thought I was doing it wrong.

GriffinsPC:
    I tried that originally but only powered off the Modem, Router and "Family" computer. So, I powered them all down, unplugged the Modem and Router. I even went so far as to unplug the other connections in the Router, ie., "Business" and "Laptop." When I powered it back up, Modem first, Router second, "Family" third, "Family" was the only computer connected to the router, either by cable OR Wireless. I really hoped that would work. It hasn't.

jrbuergel:
    Followed your instructions and DHCP was started and running and was set to run automatically. I did NOT stop it and re-start it -- just checked it.

Thanks, everyone for your help. Any other ideas?

Greg

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Is it SAFE to post my IP address and all the information you requested?"

A little dangerous if it is a public IP and you are not firewall protected and you have enemies that may want to specifically target you. You said that you are using a router, so I assume your PC's address is private; e.g., 192.168.0.x.

Your ping successes says that you have internet access, and DNS is working. The following is copied from a Bob Cerelli post.

If you can't access the Internet with programs like IE, Outlook Express, or other web browsers, you may have corrupted Winsock entries.

To Remove the existing winsock2 registry entries (regardless of the OS) run:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/xp_del_winsock.reg

To add Windows2000 clean entries back in again, run:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/winsock_2k.reg

13. Greg Bruce

Thanks, Terry, but ... I've been communicating here with the "Laptop." How do I run those addresses from the computer that doesn't want to show me the internet?

Okay. I went to "Family" and opened IE ... it gave me the "The Page cannot be displayed" page. I typed in http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/xp_del_winsock.reg, hit go and it flashed like it thought about it but that was all.

Then I typed in http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/winsock_2K.reg, hit go and it flashed like it thought about it but that was all.

So ... is that what you expected me to do? Just type the addresses into the address bar and hit go?

Greg

14. griffinspc

griffinspc

What Terry meant was to click on the links and download the registry hack that it points to using one of your good machines. Once downloaded you can copy them to your bad machine and double click on them. Do the XP del first and then the winsock_2k.reg second. You should always backup your registry before making any changes but unless Bob screwed up these should be fine.

15. Greg Bruce

TerryNet ... YOU WIN!!

I'm not a complete idiot, just "networkly" ignorant sometimes. I couldn't make those links work that you sent me, like I said, so went to his website, searched for Winsock, discovered that they are actually files to download, so I downloaded them with this computer, through the network that worked the whole time and then ran them on the "Family" computer. And guess what? I'm writing to you from the "Family" computer!

It wasn't until after I did all that that I realized clicking the links was what you meant and copy the files to "Family" etc. Any way, I did it that hard way, but thanks to all of you, I have internet again!

This is so cool. Once again, TechGuy.org comes through. Thank you all for your help and patience. I really appreciate it.

Mark this string as "SOLVED!"

Greg

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!