1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Locate Sound Card and Recommendations Please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kctom, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kctom

kctom Thread Starter

My Dad has (had) an eMachines T3624 Desktop that recently had it's motherboard die. My brother replaced several parts to upgrade the PC, but there is no sound. He mentioned something to my Dad about "one last thing to do - sound", but my Dad who had already spent $500 on upgrades (don't get me started on that), just told him that he didn't need the sound. Unfortunately, now he would like the sound and asked me to take a look. I'm trying to figure out whether this "born-again" pc still has it's soundcard from it's eMachines days or if a new sound card was ever installed for him. If it turns out that there is no sound card, I'm looking for advice on options. I read that sometimes a sound card isn't needed for audio. I also have seen something about USB audio? My dad rarely uses audio and doesn't need stereo quality. He and my Mom just use the computer for email and basic internet use.

When I go into Control Panel for Sound, it says "No audio devices". Also, "Sound" is blank in the System Information section in System Tools

Thanks,

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Most budget e-machines (and the vast majority of other motherboards) have "on board" sound.

That means its integrated into the motherboard and may not show up until the driver software is loaded.

We would need to know the make and model of the new replacement motherboard to be able to be more specific.

If it is on-board sound, then the drivers will be free to download, no cost to get it going will be faced.

3. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

Look at the back of the PC are there any audio ports? Check that first and we can go from there (as above, motherboard model would be good too :) )

4. kctom

kctom Thread Starter

Thanks for your help.
    I'm not sure where to find the motherboard info, so I'm just going to post some info as I stumble across it. Thanks again...
    OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name GERARD-E6B
    System Manufacturer System Manufacturer
    System Model System Product Name
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 95 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2411 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 2006/12/19, 2/27/2007
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
    User Name GERARD-E6B\jerry
    Time Zone US Mountain Standard Time
    Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 540.84 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 2.26 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

5. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

That didn't help I am affraid.. (atleast I donlt think it did...) CAn you get CPU-Z and try that? Just google it. :)

6. kctom

kctom Thread Starter

Yes, there are audio ports for speakers and microphone. The sound used to work fine before the "upgrade" :)

Thanks again.

7. kctom

kctom Thread Starter

Board: NF-M2S www.abit.com.tw
    Bus Clock: 201 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 2006/12/19 02/27/2007

Thanks.

8. kctom

kctom Thread Starter

Chipset & Memory

Northbridge NVIDIA MCP61 rev. A1
    Southbridge NVIDIA MCP61 rev. A2
    Memory Type DDR2
    Memory Size 1024 MBytes
    Memory Frequency 267.9 MHz (CPU/9)
    CAS# Latency (tCL) 4.0 clocks
    RAS# to CAS# (tRCD) 4 clocks
    RAS# Precharge (tRP) 4 clocks
    Cycle Time (tRAS) 12 clocks
    Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 17 clocks
    Command Rate (CR) 2T

Thanks, TM

9. jackdw

jackdw

10. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

If the sound is onboard just get the drivers
    :)

11. kctom

kctom Thread Starter

I downloaded and installed the file from the link above and when i went to the volume control it said no audio mixer devices can be found. I guess that means there is no soundcard? Windows Media Player says no sound device can be found as well. Thanks, TM

12. jackdw

jackdw

Go into the BIOS (press del, F1 or some other key specified in motherbaord manual) and find integrated peripherals. Check that sound is enabled.

13. kctom

kctom Thread Starter

I'll give the BIOS idea a try. This will be interesting because I'm 2000 miles away from my Dad now. I'll have to walk him (78 year old Dad) through it over the phone without the use of a remote desktop app. Wish me luck. Thanks for the suggestion.

14. kctom

kctom Thread Starter

I'm not sure what happened, but I was in Device Manager this time and it showed Realtek HighDef Audio. One of the drivers was disabled. I updated it and now the sound works. I don't recall that being in there last time or I would have known to focus on that.

I did go to BIOS last night and it looked enabled, but I disabled and re-enabled. Maybe that did something. Thanks.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650829

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice