1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Lock Driver Version

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by arvindch, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. arvindch

arvindch Account Closed Thread Starter

Hi!

I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit on my computer yesterday.

However, I have a Realtek HD Sound Card.

Now, when W7 boots it detects and installs drivers for the sound card everytime. However, these drivers don't work. The sound icon in the notification bar shows a red cross, troubleshooting does nothing but say there is a problem, and no sound output is detected. So, I downloaded the official Realtek drivers for W7. These drivers do install, even after W7 says they're unsigned, and work perfectly,but, whenever the computer is started up again, W7 replaces those drivers with its own and the problem is back. So, if I install the driver each time I start up the computer, I can listen to audio until I shut it down again.

So, is it possible to "LOCK" the driver, so it isn't updated/replaced?

Thanks!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's strange that the Win7 driver doesn't work. Win7 usually doesn't make mistakes like that.

One thing to try, the next time you boot up, while the Windows driver is installed, check Windows update. There might be an updated (and signed) driver there.

Have you checked the computer manufacturer's site for a driver?

3. arvindch

Hi!
    Thanks for your reply!

Yes, I installed the official Realtek Drivers, from their site, which are unsigned, and those get replaced on startup, when W7 scans and installs its own drivers every time.

Are you sure there is no way to LOCK a driver version/install? That seems to be the easiest solution.

Yeah, I haven't tried updating, but in my experience Windows slows down sometimes after updates, and I have pretty slow bandwidth speeds ( I don't live in the USA, speedtest.net says my speed is F grade - i.e ~1 Mbit/s ), so I try not to update until it's completely necessary. Of course, this is a pretty important issue, so, I guess I'll reinstall W7, install SP1 and update, then try.

I'll reply again once I've done that.
    Thanks.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Many updates actually address performance issues and remove bottlenecks to speed. So you shouldn't be seeing "slow-downs" from updates except in a very few cases where an update introduces new security that takes slightly longer to implement.

In general, for your best computing experience, and for the security of your machine, I'd suggest getting the updates. If one gets released that is not optimal for some reason, later updates will almost always address that issue and put things right again.

5. arvindch

Hi!

Thanks for your reply!

Again - Are you sure there is no way to LOCK a driver version/install? That seems to be the easiest solution.

Okay, I will definitely update within the week. Also, I downloaded the SP1 update from the Microsoft site. Since there are obviously many other smaller updates, is there like an update pack to download them all at once or does it have to be through Windows Update? Also, if there is no pack, is it possible to save the updates I download, for future re-installations?

6. arvindch

Hi!

Yes, I have updates Windows 7 through SP1 and all updates it found as of today.
    BUT, the audio driver is still not working! :(

Is it possible to LOCk the driver at its current state?

Thanks.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

I don't believe there is any way to "lock" it. Windows will always use a signed driver preferentially over an unsigned one.

There is something very strange going on here. This sort of thing just doesn't happen.[​IMG]

Check your Sound applet in Control Panel and try the different devices listed in the dropdown box for output devices.

Do you have any other sound programs installed, "capture" programs that record sound or the screen, or anything like that?

8. arvindch

Hi!

I googled and this guy -
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ek-audio/dc7fa865-4125-4e89-b58f-55fa6c7a6563

has the exact same problem, though my hardware is different.

Exactly What Happens -

I install Realtek Windows 7 Drivers.
    Audio starts working.
    I switch off or reboot comp.
    On boot, W7 says its found new hardware and automatically starts installing its own drivers.
    NOTE - This happens even if Windows Automatic Update is ON or OFF.
    The audio icon displays a red cross.
    REPEAT!

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. The next time that happens, open up services and see if the Windows Audio and the Windows Audio Endpoint Builder services are running. Stop and restart them if they are or start them if they are not.

How does Device Manager look when this happens? Does it show any problems?

When the Windows driver is installed, open its Properties in Device Manager and click on the drivers button. Tell me exactly what driver files are loaded. We can't "lock" the driver that is there, but we may be able to disable the Windows driver.

10. arvindch

Hi!

When, the Microsoft driver is installed, the audio services are started and running, and Device manager shows Audio Deivce, sometimes it shows a yellow ! and unknown device, sometimes, when Realtek driver is installed it shows Realtek High Definition Audio Device.
    Also, MS installs a PCI to PCI bridge driver sometimes, too.

I have no idea how, but after doing random stuff in Device Manager and reinstalling the driver again and again, the Realtek driver seems to have finally set in, and has sustained 3 reboots.
    I'm not sure what MS drivers are actually loaded, I could have told you if I wasn't scared that more tinkering might make everything go crazy again!

Please try to find out if this is due to the driver being unsigned, or something. Also, try to find a permanent solution for locking drivers?

Also, I will tell you if it starts overwriting again.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

There's nothing permanent.

But this might help. I'm pretty sure that your sound is using the high definition audio driver, but until you answer my question about what drivers are loaded, I won't be able to help you disable the Windows driver. Can you tell me what files they are?

You will only be able to do that when the Windows driver is loaded, so you can mark this "solved" for now, if you want and come back if it happens again with the names of the driver files.

12. arvindch

Hi!

Sure, okay. I will reply if the problem happens. I'll tell you in a day or so, after rebooting like 10 times. :)

Also, like I asked earlier, is there a way to save all the updates I downloaded for future use?

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

Only if you download them to folder from MS and save them. You can't save the ones installed on your machine.

You should have a full system backup at all times. All hard drives will fail and are failing. It's just a matter of time. With a backup, you can restore everything to a new drive.

If you have service packs downloaded and saved on disk somewhere, they include all the updates to the point they came out. The next service pack will include all the updates being released now.

14. arvindch

I just downloaded them from Windows Update. So aren't they going to be stored in some Temp folder or something?

However, I do have the SP1 executable saved.

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

No, they are not stored. You have to go to the downloads section of MS to get them if you want them individually. But if you save them on that drive, they will be gone, too, when it fails.

If you have your update settings set to download the updates but let you decide whether to install them or not, the update installers (.msu files) just might be located in the SoftwareDistribution folder in Windows. I have never tried that, but I'm going to now.

If you have a system backup, you have no reason to store the files.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice