1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: lock pen drive - not with registry

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by night-fury, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. night-fury

night-fury Thread Starter

Hi,

We have to give a few people, a USB drive which will act as key to boot the system encrypted with bitlocker. (USB is being used since the systems do not have TPM module).

Is there a way to lock the pen drive(s) so that nothing can be copied onto the drive (apart from already copied bitlocker key) not only in their system but any system they connect the pen drive to. I can disable write access in their systems via registry or symantec etc but they can always use it in some home system etc for other work. I want that taken care of.

Please guide.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

You can buy USB sticks that have a physical lock/unlock switch on them so I would imagine that you could lock them and remove the switch.
    I also think you can buy USB keys that need special equipment to write to them.

3. night-fury

I agree, but unfortuanately, my office already ordered the pen drives. Can't get the order changed. But thanks for getting back on this. I will keep looking for more options though.

4. DaveBurnett

I believe you can get tools to change the firmware in USB drives. I seem to remember that certain viruses make use of it.

5. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

Maybe this can work for you?

After loading all you need on the USB flash drive

For each USB drive - run Command as Administrator.
    At prompt enter DISKPART
    At prompt enter LIST DISK
    (Now Identify which disk is your USB Drive - Usually Disk 1)
    At prompt enter At prompt enter SELECT DISK 1
    At prompt enter ATTRIBUTES DISK SET READONLY

The USB flash drive is now a Read Only device

Not perfect - but it is something....

6. night-fury

Thanks 20_2_Many. Sounds kool. I will try this and let you know.

7. DaveBurnett

Be very careful with that.
    If you accidentally choose your own hard drive you could be in trouble

8. night-fury

very true :)

i was careful though. I did try with DISK PART but to no good. even though its says Disk attributes set successfully, I can still write to the pen drive. here is what I did.

9. DaveBurnett

I thought that would be the case. That trick will only work when the USB drive is emulating a hard drive (which is not the most common).
    Most drives emulate superfloppy or zip drives or even just floppy drives.

Look for a utility called BOOTIT and if the device can be changed to allow that trick, that tool will do it.

10. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

Sorry it did not work for you. I have never had it not work.
    The only time it came close to not working was having an explorer window open, showing the system drives, when I ran the commands. The readonly attribute was set on the USB, but in that open explorer window I could still write to it. Closing and reopening explorer did read the attribute and it could not be written to.
    If you need that attribute cleared, use ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY
    Good luck

11. night-fury

You are absolutely right. This was the catch. I was checking in the same explorer windows. I closed it and opened a fresh window but still could not write. However, then I removed the pen drive and reinserted. This did the trick. It became read only. Even the 'New' option in right click menu (for creating new files like notepad, word, excel) also disappeared !!

Thanks for your help. Appreciate it.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140770

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice