Solved: Locking "Now" or "TODAY" FUNCTION IN Excel 2003

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

zjoeyx

How can I lock the "Now" or "TODAY" or "Date" FUNCTIONs IN Excel 2003?

This seems like it would be a simple solution as everybody that deals with Excel, at some point, would be interested in not having the dates you have entered with either function "Today" or "Now" NOT automatically change to the current date and time when you reload the workbook. But if it's a simple fix, I sure haven't been able to figure it out yet. Help!!!!!!!!!!!:( Go ahead and show me and make me feel like an idiot...:D

zjoeyx

zjoeyx

Thanks so much Pedro. Works like a charm. Now I can just make it a part of my macro. I would be interested in how you come to know this great keystroke - if you would share.

zjoeyx

Thanks.
By reading forums like this and Google.
I use it all the time, saves typing.

Pedro

Hi there, welcome to the board!

Typing it manually in is one way. If you want this to happen automatically, that is a different story. Of course if you have a formula and you want to manually make it a static value, just Copy and Paste Special/Values over the top of itself. Ctrl + C (to copy), then Alt + E, S, V, Enter (to Paste Special - Values). If you want any kind of automation with this behavior, you'll have to use VBA.

In reading your second post, if you want to "make it part of my macro", you'll be better off posting your entire macro, then posting a complete description of what it is you are trying to do. In VBA making the value static is as simple as Range("A1").Value = Range("A1").Value

HTH

As Zack says;

Ctrl + ; does not do as you'd expect when recorded as a macro.

To code this in VBA - something like Range("C72").Value = Date is required.

turbodante, you know what I've found, is sometimes (of course it very well could be just me) using Date on it's own produces, eh, erroneous results? Have you ever found that? Ever since then I've started using, at least when I can remember, to use VBA.Date() instead, to fully qualify it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online