1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Log-in problems on many websites

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by EugeneSlipped, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EugeneSlipped

EugeneSlipped Thread Starter

Hi.
    I'm having a rather frustrating problem with the internet, in which on many websites I'm always having to log back in when I open them, despite asking Firefox to save my password, keep me logged in, and clicking the little box saying "Always keep me logged in" or whatever it says on some websites.

I've checked my cookie settings, and enabled cookies for all the websites I'm having this problem with, however it still does it.

Another even more annoying problem is that one some websites I can't even log in in the first place. I enter my username and password, log in, and when the page loads I'm still not logged in.

I can't figure out what this is, but it does it on Firefox, Opera and IE. So it's not an error that's happening with Firefox, it's happening on 3 different browsers.

These are a couple of the websites which I constantly need to log into:
    www[dot]ultimate-guitar[dot]com/forum/
    www[dot]nationstates[dot]net/

(those are really the only two I use regularly which have the problem, I don't use other websites mostly)

But I can't log into www[dot]demonoid[dot]com at all.

I know there's many more websites this is happening on but unfortunately due to this problem I rarely visit any other websites besides these, partly 'cause I'm a little lazy and can't be bothered logging in every time, but all the same. So I can't think of others off the top of my head.

Also I find with the ultimate-guitar website, that I am often logged out for no apparent reason, while I'm browsing the forums.

Also, another note, this only started happening when I reinstalled windows about 3-4 weeks ago. It hasn't happened at all before then.

Thanks.

EDIT: I also have the login problem with this site, I just found. I check the 'Save' box next to the login button, but it doesn't keep me logged in after I close the browser.

2. EugeneSlipped

Please, can anyone help me out here?

I'm still having this problem, I'm not able to log into sites like demonoid, youtube, and I can't even log into here: http://beta.zetaboards.com/support/index/ , which I really need to because I need help after my forum was hacked.

This problem is really getting on my nerves, and is creating tremendous frustration - I just can't log into many websites, I get logged out straight away!

Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated :(

3. Ajkleiner

Ajkleiner

Having the same problem, Eugene. I am also unable to log in to many of the regular forums/msg boards I go to. "Page Cannot Be Displayed" comes up. When I type in my username and passwords, it is telling me "invalid" and when I request new password, nothing is being sent to my email. It's a screwy deal and I hope they get this figured out VERY soon because it's aggravating to say the least.

Hope you get your problem solved!

4. EugeneSlipped

=\

That sucks.

I'm not having the same problems as you though, for me I'll enter my username and password into their respective boxes, press Log In, and the page will load. However when the page loads, I'm still not logged in, I'll have the "Guest: Log in" at the top of the page, or wherever it is on the website I'm using at the time.

For other websites, I just have to log back in every time I open it. Like this one.

5. JRWalker

JRWalker

You said your forum got hacked. I know this sounds simple, but I would recommend downloading Spybot Search and Destroy to scan your computer for bot activity. Update your anti-virus and spyware software. Scan your computer and remove all malicious files. It is strange to hear that you can enter in your login information, but the site will not actually authenticate your username and password.

6. EugeneSlipped

Thanks, but I can assure you it wasn't anything to do with a bot of any form. I know who it was who hacked the forums, though I'm not sure "hacked" would be the correct terminology. Basically, someone hijacked a moderator's account and proceeded to systematically delete a large amount of threads. I know who it was who did it, unfortunately there's little I can do about it.

But back onto the topic at hand, yes, it is strange that sites will not actually authenticate the username and password. I'm sure it's a cookie problem, that there's something wrong somewhere that means cookies aren't being saved, thus I'm not able to stay logged in. I can't understand why, or what's wrong though, because I haven't done anything wrong, or got any incorrect information/options selected in my internet browsers etc.

7. SteveCampsOut

SteveCampsOut

Might I suggest clearing your cookies? I've just cleared up several of my login problems by deleting corrupted ones. Guess I left mine out in the sun for too long.:p One site was telling me to enable them when they were already enabled! My cookie was so bad Harry Potter was having bad dreams about it and calling me Moldy Voldy!

8. EugeneSlipped

Okay I'll try that. How do I clear my cookies? I've done it before but I'm feeling a bit unwell and a bit slow today, so I can't remember how to do it :p

9. JRWalker

JRWalker

Which internet browser do you use?

10. SteveCampsOut

SteveCampsOut

In IE 6 you go to tools>Internet Options>and click the delete cookies button, in IE 7 it's tools>Internet Options> and then the delete button which brings up a menu that includes temp files, cookies, history, forms and passwords and you click the delete cookies button there. In Mozilla Firefox it's Tools>Clear Private Data and you put a checkmark in the cookies box and click OK. I don't have Opera so can't help you there.

11. EugeneSlipped

okay thanks, cleared them, but unfortunately the problem is still persisting.

I can't log into youtube, (something which I've really been wanting to do for quite some time) and can't log into other various websites.

This is really starting to bother me... is there anyone who could possible lend me a hand here? I've gotten bits and pieces of advice from various people which I thought could help, and I thank them for it, but unfortunately it hasn't helped.

There's something really funny going on with my browsers (I use Mozilla by the way, however this problem occurs on every browser I use), and I really, desperately want some help with this, barring having to re-format my computer (that's a last resort...)

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Do you have any security software installed? Change any browser settings recently on the advice that it would be more secure?

Usually something like that causes this problem.

13. EugeneSlipped

Good grief.

I suspected at first that it was my CA Firewall that was doing this... I was told that it wouldn't, and I just forgot about it.

I went through the firewall settings and found that session cookies were being blocked. I disabled that, and now I can log into the sites perfectly fine.

Thank you so much! I feel like a fool, as I had thought about that very thing but completely forgotten about it. Tsk.

Thanks again. This thread can be closed/ignored now, issue solved. :)

14. dotty999

dotty999

First Name:
    Dotty
    if you go to your first post and select thread tools above, you can mark it solved :) (y)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice