1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: logging in to Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by pdcagirl, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pdcagirl

pdcagirl Thread Starter

Since I live alone thought would not need a password for logging onto Win 8 when I installed it. Yet I keep being asked for a password. Have gone to the site where you can uncheck the use of a password box but to no avail. Is there any way I can avoid having to use a password whenever I log in to my laptop win 8 version?

PC stats - browser = Firefox
    Windows Version = Windows 8
    PC = AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2Ghz 6MB Cache FSB 4000MHz HT<br>

Need more PC info?

Thank you for any info anyone can provide to me.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. pdcagirl

pdcagirl Thread Starter

Yes, I did - several times in fact but it seemed to not work - still was asked for password. Any other suggestions? Do appreciate your effort however.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Sounds like it is trying to use the Microsoft account that linked to the email address that was used when the account/machine was set up.

Are you able to use this machine and get to your data?

5. pdcagirl

pdcagirl Thread Starter

Oh ye, my PC is only 3 years old (ancient by today's standards) but came with Win XP on it which I have retained as a double boot with Win 8. (Which as an aside by the way, I love Win 8 - MS made it just for me - reminds me of Win 3.1 way back when) As I recall when I elected to have full version of Win 8 from the trial I do not recall putting on a password. Do have an MS account but used that at one time when I had a different email address. So disliked the new email address I switched back to present one with Outlook as my email. Have disc for MS Office 2007 and use for only email and word processing.

Just seems to me with present technology that there must be a way to get out of the default password issue for win 8. So I keep up the search.

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    When in Windows 8. do a log off. Then login to your local account, and it should NOT require a password, unless you have set it up with one.

7. wstmann

wstmann

8. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

As stated by my colleague DaveA
    I am not sure if you have already tried this but on windows key + C = change PC settings - users on left side
    then this screen - as per screenshot - arrowed

Attached Files:

9. pdcagirl

pdcagirl Thread Starter

I never could reach your last screen as shown above so not sure I am in the right place. I have discovered, however, that I already am on a local account NOT an MS account and so do believe I signed up this way when I went to full version of Win 8. This local account has a password and for the life of me cannot overcome the default so far.

Also see wording ' any user who has a password doesn't need to enter it when waking this PC.' I never put my PC to sleep so guess that would not apply to me but seems to exist.

Thanks again for following this thread.

10. Macboatmaster

press windows key, plus C
    on the right click settings
    click change pc settings
    on the left click USERS
    on the right you have the one you cannot find
    click
    change

11. pdcagirl

pdcagirl Thread Starter

another note - I think I see what is hanging us up. I am already on a local account and it has a password that I am trying to change the option to not use it. But so far everything I have tried seems not to work for some reason.

Have yet to find out if there is still some mysterious place to 'undo the default' OR whether I am not doing something correctly in following all instructions received.

As I said was told by a tech friend across country that once the password is set on a local account, it cannot be changed. Find that hard to go along with - so still searching for a way to do so if possible.

12. Macboatmaster

With respect we are going too fast
    please try the guide in my post 10
    As to what your friend told you it is wrong the password can easily be changed - if change password as against what you were asking before - is really what you mean

13. Macboatmaster

It has I think finally dawned on me what you want to DO
    What I am sending you is the steps to not require the password every time the computers wakes from sleep
    It will still require the password when you SHUT DOWN as against sleep
    GO to the screen I have sent you to on my post 10
    This time click on
    change your password
    enter the present password
    for the NEW password LEAVE IT BLANK
    then follow the rest and shut down
    when you power on you will not be presented with the password requirement

HOWEVER you will see the implications of using it without a password, quite apart from the security aspect, if you had it stolen or indeed an untrusted visitor used it.

14. pdcagirl

pdcagirl Thread Starter

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!!!!!! It worked, it worked!!!!!!! Have been struggling for some time now to find a way or someone who knew the way to do without a password. Though not too PC literate, just knew there must be a way around the password issue!!!

Thank you ever so much Macboatmaster and all else who contributed towards this issue with information! Dave and Wstman. It is really appreciated!!!!! And hopefully this thread will remain for all others out there struggling to do what I just did. Sorry it took so long to accomplish the goal, but as I said before - not all that PC literate on this end so how much that contributed towards time taking, hard to tell.

But thank you all again for hanging in with me and off and running to new and better PC-ing before technology overtakes me:eek:. And at the rate it is going - probably already has.:)

15. Macboatmaster

Pleased it was sorted.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089140

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice