[Solved] Logging on problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MRBEE

Suddenly I've run into a problem logging on via my Netscape 4.7 browser. When I click on the Netscape icon, the Netscape page shows up. But to proceed further, I am forced to put in a URL address, and then until recently I log on. But suddenly, I now get the following message:
"Netscape is unable to locate the server, www.google.com [or whatever URL I attempt]. Please check the server name and try again."
The only way I can now log on is first log on directly through my server's dialer, and after logging on, then I click on Netscape, and from that point all works normally.

I tried reinstalling Netscape 4.7 but nothing changed.

MRBEE

I think this is a related problem. When I boot up, (Windows 98), the process now pauses and I get the following message:

"Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows Application.
The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.
If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program.
If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAP.VXD
Press a key to continue"

After I press a key, the boot up proceeds, and everything is okay -- except for logging on to the internet as explained in the preceding post.

I'm not sure I can help you but I'll sure try to.

You are using Netscape 4.7 as your browser & I am assuming the page thats there when you open the browser is netscape as your homepage. is that correct??

But now you aren't able to browse to other URL's using search to get the adresses??

answer so I get a better understanding, ok ?

Savvy:confused:

yes Mr Bee.... I think you have more going on thn just Netscape

You need to repost this in the Windows forum... ok

Or perhaps I can get the moderator to move it

Savvy

MRBEE

Savvylady:

No, actually when I click on the Netscape browser, I don't get any URL web page at all -- just a blank page with Netscape at the very top.

That's the best I can explain. And yes, I am unable to go to any other URL after clicking on the Netscape icon on the desktop until/unless I independently click my ISP dialer icon. Then everything works swell.:confused:

I think I understand now ....

You are not connected to your ISP. So when you try to use the browser which always connected you before to the ISP ( Internet Service Provider ) its not connecting automatically anymore... So once you do connect manually .... are you able to get to addresses/URL's ok then??

Savvy :)

MRBEE

Savvy,

You've got it right. Once I click on the dialer independently, I can go to any URL from my Netscape browser as usual.

Following your suggestion, I reposted the bootup problem in the Windows section.

The bootup problem occurred immediately after I uninstalled and reinstalled Netscape 4.7. That must be when I somehow lost the NAVAP.VXD file. But going through that process didn't help me insofar as being unable to connect to my dialer when I click on the Netscape icon, or when I try to click on a URL from the Netscape page.

Navap.vxd is part of norton Antivirus... If you have the CD, it'll probably be best if you reinstall Norton. This shouldn't have anything to do with your connection problems but...

I haven't got Netscape on this P.C, but from memory, there should be something in Netscape preferences that will tell the modem to dial when you open up your browser..

Not sure about your login troubles but on the homepage do this.

Go to Edit, Prefernces and you will see if you click on the Navigator on the left side that you will get on the right side a place for your homepage.

If the page changed on you then put the new address in or go to the site you want as a homepage and then you can click "Use Current Page"

NAVAP.VXD is a "NAV Auto Protect VxD" file.

Have you or can you run a scan to see if you have a virus? I would update first and then scan.

Try reinstalling Norton AV.
Then do a scan of your PC again.

If you are getting the navap error after uninstalling any Norton product, just go to start and run: regedit

Click Edit>Find and enter navap

right click and delete it where you find it.

For more info go here:

http://search.symantec.com/custom/us/query.html

Put a check in the "knowledge base" field and enter:

navap missing

in the search field.

To fix the Norton thing, (uninstall if possible) and reinstall.

To fix the Netscape thing, go to control panel -> internet options and choose connection. Choose your ISP's, set it as default, and choose "Always dial my default".

If that doesn't help, check to make sure that you do not have Firewall SW like Zone Alarm which may really screw up Netscape on some OSes (ie.. Win xp)

MRBEE

To all of you:

My problems, both of them, are now resolved. The missing Navap.vxd was taken care of when I reinstalled Norton Anti Virus. The Logging On Problem was thereafter taken care of by following the advise of phrozenmayhem by going to control panel -> internet options and then choosing connection, and clicking on "Always dial my default". This seems also to somehow have fixed my automatic log on connections when clicking on Norton Live Update and all other programs that go to the Internet. Anyway, they all now work.

This is a great web site and I will pass it on to my friends. I thank all of you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online