1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Login required multiple times

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by lotuseclat79, Feb 8, 2007.

Advertisement
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Thread Starter

I normally do not logout, so whenever I visit TSG, there is no login required.

No so, this afternoon around 3 PM on Server 3. After logging in to forums.techguy.org, one would think that it is not required for each subforum and thread, no so.

In order to post in a thread, I had to visit the thread, request a reply to post, and then login again!

Something is broken with regard to cookies.

I use Firefox 1.5.0.3.

Never had this problem before.

-- Tom

2. tech.dude

tech.dude

There is a problem within the settings of Firefox. It is not saving the cookie, so you cannot remained logged in. It's a simple fix, luckily.

Open Firefox. Go Tools >> Options. Under the Privacy tab, make sure that the 'Accept cookies from sites' box is checked. Right underneath that, beside where it says 'Keep Until', make sure that the dropdown box says 'Until they Expire'. Now to the right of that, click the 'Exceptions' button. Make sure that the TSG site is not listed. Now click OK. Click OK and close the browser. Open it up again and try to login. If it works, then success. If it does not, repost here.

3. lotuseclat79

I solved the problem with a reboot after being notified that my iptables (Ubuntu/Linux) firewall was somehow blocking the send of my login to my email web server.

Firefox had the cookies, btw, so the problem was not Firefox.

Thanks for the info anyway.

-- Tom

4. hewee

hewee

You should update to Firefox 1.5.0.9

Funny at another site I din't go to much I have it so I did not keep the cookies and had it so I go there and the password manager would fill things out so I just click login.
    All th cookies were set as session cookies and I could get around the site and post ok. This does not work at all sites.
    Anyhow someone posted about login troubles and then another person did.
    The site had a software upgrade a couple months back so was thinking that may be why but I had my setting to login each time so I checked it and all worked ok.
    I even deleted all the cookie etc.
    I changed things back but was still blocking all cookies to the site but was able to login and post without any cookies being used. (y) So they must keep added info at there end.

5. lotuseclat79

Hi heewee,

I use Ubuntu 6.0.6 Live CD which incorporates FF 1.5.0.3. At this point in time, I would have to upgrade to a new Live CD with Ubuntu 6.1.0, the Edgy release, but I don't know which FF that uses. With the Live CD, a new version would require a large 700MB download which is impossible with my 56k dialup connection speed. Of course, I could opt to buy the Edgy CD which is not free - only the Dapper Drake one that I use is free, and I'm quite satisfied with it even with its restrictions (primarily lacking in some tools like gcc, rar, unrar, etc.)

Since I do not intend to install Ubuntu, I am content that the Live CD has enough security with the restricted iptables firewall scheme I use, and running in memory off the Live CD that any malware that manages to get past my firewall would only infect my memory and not my disks. It only takes a couple of minutes to offload an init script I wrote to initialize my FF with the 10-12 FF Extensions, and initialize the iptables firewall for my environment before I initiate a connection to the Internet.

As mentioned previously, the problem was not FF or its cookies which were retained, but something definitely happened with the firewall, and the subsequent reboot cleared the problem once I realized it was a firewall problem.

-- Tom

6. hewee

hewee

7. MMJ

MMJ Guest

I once had problems with ff and cookies.

Had to sign in hundreds of times.

8. hewee

hewee

Funny was at another forum where I don't post much and some posted for help because the site was not remember him and he had to login each time.
    I had my setting to clear the cookies and also had it so all cookies were session cookies.
    But I changed it so it would keep the cookies to see if the software upgrade they did may be the trouble but all worked for me ok.
    Then I undid thing but I had my cookies blocked.
    I can go to the site and login without it setting any cookies at all.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542362

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice