Solved: Login screen email account settings - change or remove

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

alexhett

This should be an easy problem to solve, but I have been unable to figure it out...

On the windows login screen, right below my login name, there is a little note that says how many new mail messages I have- This however was set up by my ex-boyfriend under his hotmail account. I'd like to change it to one of my accounts if possible, (I primarily use a university based webmail account), and if I can't change it to anything but hotmail or msn then I would like to remove it.

I haven't been able to figure out where to find this setting.

Any ideas or help would be most appreciated.

-Alex

You can edit the registry to remove it but I prefer the easier way.
Download TweakUI from MS, it has an option to remove the email notification message.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Manually

Click Start -> Run -> type regedit and enter
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion UnreadMail
Double-click on the dword MessageExpiryDays in the right column and set the value to 0, then click OK. (Note: If MessageExpiryDays not exists, just create one and set the value to 0)
Close your registry editor.

Your PC now should have the unread email notification turn off.

alexhett

Thanks, that should do the trick, is there however a way to change which email account it is notifying me of (change it to mine) instead of just removing it?

alexhett said:
Thanks, that should do the trick, is there however a way to change which email account it is notifying me of (change it to mine) instead of just removing it?
Got to Control Panel > User Accounts > Click on the account in question > click on Change my .NET passport > Use a different passport
follow the prompts and enter the details of your choice.

alexhett

You have been most helpful, thank you very much. one last thing, Is there a way that I can have that notification set up with a non-microsoft email account. (like an @gmail.com account or a @university.edu account)?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online