1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Logitech Z3 Speakers - Loose Connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sandycane, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sandycane

Sandycane Thread Starter

Hi All,

I purchased the Z3 on eBay about 10 years ago, refurbished, and they have far exceeded my expectations - in sound and longevity!

However, the mini-DIN-9 cable is no longer a tight fit and any movement causes crackling and static in the speakers.

There is no one near me who is qualified to work on these.

I tried to get the back off, but some of the screws are stripped.

I used tweezers to try to pull out the female end on the sub and accidentally pulled off the rubber/plastic covering of the pins. I couldn't get it to go back over the pins, so I put it over the male end of the plug and it went on and - voila - I was able to reconnect the plug to the sub.

It is a tighter connection and I've secured it with electrical tape.

But, I would like to have this repaired professionally.

Is there anyone who does this kind of work that I can send it to?

Is it possible for me to replace both ends of the cable myself?

Thanks for your help!

Sandy

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If you can solder and have a soldering iron you should be able to buy replacement plugs and then you can cut through the lead near each plug, make a diagram of which colour wires go where on both plugs, then solder the new plugs accordingly.

It could be a fiddly job, you can used a pair of pliers with an elastic band around the handles to hold the plugs while you solder, or something more fancy like a 'helping hand' :- https://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/5155243/il_570xN.166335583.jpg

3. Sandycane

Sandycane Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.
    I actually found a small soldering iron and a tube of solder this past week when I was cleaning out my old tool box.
    Do I just cut off the end of the cable and solder the replacement back on? Wrap the cut wire with electrical tape?
    Any suggestions for getting the stripped screws out so I can take the back cover off?

For now, since it is working good as new, I'm going to leave well enough alone. But I will need this info should the connection go bad again.

Thanks!

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Try soldering the screw driver to the screws. I doubt it will be strong enough though. You can buy a kit, but it is hardly worth it unless you do a lot.
    Your local television repair shop may be up to the job.

5. Sandycane

Sandycane Thread Starter

Thanks, Dave.

Is there such a thing as a t.v. repairman any more?? :rolleyes:
    I thought they went extinct about the time t.v. screens went flat.
    :D

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You may not need to cover the soldered connections with tape, depends on whether they could touch each other if you don't which in turn depends on how the plugs are made. usually the wires will be different colours and you just have to put the right colours onto the right pins in the plugs, I would draw a diagram of which colour wire goes to each pin in the old plugs then match that when soldering the new ones on.

Hopefully you will not have to do it but if you do the above should help.

For the screws sometimes you can cut a slot into them with a small hacksaw and then use an ordinary flat blade screwdriver to unscrew them.

7. Sandycane

Sandycane Thread Starter

Thank you!

Since it is "fixed" at the moment, I don't want to take it apart and I really won't understand the suggestions unless I can see the wires. I'll be back when I need to take it apart to fix it if/when it craps out again.
    I just love these speakers and really don't want to replace them if I can save them

Thanks again!

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome and I hope you don't need to come back for this problem. :)

Please mark this topic Solved if you are finished for now.

9. Sandycane

Sandycane Thread Starter

I think, I found a video that shows how to do what you suggested.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_C33VtNeHI

I'm guessing the same would apply for repairing the other end that is inside the box?
    I think I can handle this.
    ;)

Thank you.
    Marking this one "solved."
    (y)(y)

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    That video is a good guide for you.

Chances are you won't even need to open the box and just fitting a new plug will be all that's required.

If you do need to go inside then you just need to check the connections from the back of the socket to wherever they connect to. A cheap digital multimeter can do that.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141338

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice