1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Long delay before files appear in My Computer in Windows XP

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by webzter, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

Hello;

Ever since clearing-out some old, no longer used apps from "Add/Remove Programs" (Control Panel) to free-up additional space on our hard drive, a pain in the drain "FLASHLIGHT" pops-up every time we go to open "My Computer". It lasts several
    seconds until the drive listings appear and the screen populates. "My Computer" is the only place this is happening, and as I said, appears to be the result of having deleted old programs no longer in use. Microsoft wrote a report on the problem, but it does nothing to resolve the issue. They say its USB, HP printer, cable modem related or Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)-related, but none of these fixes work (FYI, MS article #819017). Any suggestions would be appreciated-

(BTW..."My Computer" loads at normal speeds with no flashlights in Safe Mode)

thanks
    Webz

2. Asirah

Asirah

When is the last time you defragmented?

3. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Do you have any mapped network drives? Do you have anything in the cdrom drive?

4. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

Thank you both for the replies....

1.) defraged immed after discovering the slowdown in "My Computer's" loading and the flashlight starting-

2.) No Cd's installed, and I dont believe I have any mapped network drives

5. bonk

bonk Banned

Try this click Start>>Run type cmd click Ok.

In the Command Prompt type chkdsk /r click Enter

You will be asked if you want a check disk to run on next startup click Y and then press Enter

Restart your PC

6. MMJ

MMJ Guest

What I think the problem is that one of those programs left a registry entry behind that points to nothing so windows starts searching for the files.

Can you take a screenshot of my computer?

you can do so using PrntScrn www.mmj.xenweb.net/tech/comptips.php

7. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

thanks everyone, turns-out it was a virus! "My Computer" starts right up and NO FLASHLIGHT!
    webz

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!