Solved: Long delay between welcome screen and desktop icons

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jackuars

haii all techies :D i have a problem which has been pissing me for almost 3 weeks... :mad: As i start up my computer i become stuck with the desktop background after the welcome screen and the desktop icons and start button arrive too late almost taking more than 8 minutes... :eek: i am sure windows has loaded and i could hear the start up sound but not the icons and taskbar which appears only after long time...:confused:

i have analyzed this problem for all these weeks ..i have come up with the conclusion that its a RPC(Remote Procedure Call) which is creating this problem..i diagnosed this when i could still start up task manager when i have desktop background and i end an svchost.exe process....Suddently a shutdown screen with a time down count of 1 minute appears saying that(RPC has been unexpectedly terminated..the system is going to shut down..save ur work..blah blah) :( ...But then all icons starts appearing and taskbar gets loaded...i rush into run command and type "shutdown -a" and the screen closes and i continue my work..

But this is irritating me..as i have to do it everytime i log into my computer :(....and using Avira Internet Security its 'Mail guard and Web guard gets disabled due to ending this service....the scanner ..real time protection works still)

Btw my computer is clean of any infections and malwares....checked with Avira and MalwareBytes.. :p

Plz..Plz..Plz.....help to solve my problem and any help would be gratefully appreciated....Thanking u all guys in advance..!!!Hope to get a reply soon and solve my problem fast... (y);)

JennyJackson01

Account Closed
Hiya jackuars.

I`m guessing you like gadgets and gizmo`s from all the faces in your text so as a shot in the dark, you`ve possibly got lots of things starting up when Windows starts.

In the `Run` command type msconfig and look in the `Start Up` tab. You obviously need things like your anti-virus and malware programs, video drivers and such like but you don`t need stuff like MSN & Yahoo Messenger, desktop helpers, mobile phone & iPod connections, Qtask, justched, TomTom, NeroCheck ... the list is potentially endless.

Go through each one and if you`re not sure, leave it alone but a lot of them will be obvious. All those sorts of things can be started as and when you need them using the icon in Quick Launch or Programs in the Start menu.

Jenny

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
jackuars:

Go here and click the green icon to download and save Trend Micro HijackThis 2.0.4.

Close all open windows first, then install it in its default location.

Start it and then click "Do a system scan and save a log file".

When the scan is finished in 30 seconds or less, the log will appear.

Save that log, then return here and copy-and-paste the entire log here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

jackuars

heyy my startup list is clean ...only avira at the startup....i dont use much gadgets too:D ....Well i guess its really a problem with rpcss.exe(svchost) which i end at startup after welcome screen after which i start to see desktop icons and taskbar reappearing soon just after ending the process....

Well i hope to get support from all u guys..so that i can solve my problem which is been bugging me for quite long time

jackuars

well here is my hijack this log as u requested...what does it say??:(:rolleyes:

jackuars

heyyy...:cool: i guess i solved this problem myself with lots of googling..:rolleyes:i came across this forum "http://www.techtalkz.com/windows-xp/13213-bits-rpc-service-startup.html" The title says BITS AND RPC start up in windows xp..this was actually my problem and i referred the microsoft resources page as given in the first post of his forum and saw that :-

RPC has to be set up as automatic with log on type as local system..mine was set to network service...i wonder what made this to be so:eek:....Now am able to login without any delay;)

Anyway thanks for ur help techies for trying to help me solve this problem...(y)
i guess this thread will help someone too who is facing the same problem and am glad to help them in any case...CHEERS!!:D

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Remote Procedure Call(RPC) is the primary service that several other services depend on, so it should always be on Automatic.

Background Intelligence Transfer Service can be set on Automatic or Manual.

---------------------------------------------------------------

jackuars

yeah but BITS has to be started to perform windows update ...without this component it would not perform...also for automatic updates..

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Automatic Updates should always be on Automatic.

BITS will then start when needed.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online