1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Look in:/Save in: drop downs lock up all Office programs

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by alanh, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alanh

alanh Thread Starter

Just recently began having Word, Excel, and Powerpoint [Office 2003] lock up if I try to choose a file to open or a picture file to insert, or do a file save, etc using the "Look in:" and "Save in:" drop-down menus. The programs just hour-glasses there forever with no error messages. I Have the latest updates to Office 2003. I uninstallled the 908531 windows security update of 4/11/06 and instaled the newer version of 4/25/06, WindowsXP-KB908531-v2-x86-ENU.exe.

I've uninstalled anything releated to HP printers that I can find [we have a network shared HP Officejet 7210]. Device manager looks clean.

System is a P4 2.4 GHz, 1 gig ram pc. Same thing has happened on a second pc on my home network! Scans with AVG, Spyware blaster, Adaware, Spybot S&D, and SuperAntispyware turn up nothing.

Ran Office 2003 Repair, said it did, but did not help this issue.

Hellllp ,please.

2. slurpee55

slurpee55

3. alanh

alanh Thread Starter

Yes, thanks Slurpee. Your reference deals with "Security update 908531 (MS06-015) installs a new program, Verclsid.exe". That's why I removed the Aril 11 version of theis updata and repleced it with the April 25 th version. Unfortun. di d not do it. Dang it! anyone see anything else like this? I think it may be related to the HP 7210 printer or HP's many add-on utilites.

4. alanh

alanh Thread Starter

(y) :) The problem is known to MS and the solution is here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313937

In our case it was related to the installation of a network shared HP printer all-in-one machine. Turns out the 3 card readers on the printer installed themselves as Shared Network drives. Then each time office tried to list file location sites it would hang trying to open the disconnected shared network drives.

Hope this helps others. Not sure how to mark this thread solved?

5. slurpee55

slurpee55

Mark it solved by going to the top of the page to the thread tools. Glad you found your answer!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650553

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice