1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Looking for a good free launch pad program

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by johnni, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnni

johnni Thread Starter

Can anyone recommend from personal use such a program? This is what I would like it to have:

Normally invisible, or a bar at one side of the screen which opens when the cursor moves over it.
    Can place on it shortcuts to files, folders, drives, websites - anything.
    Should show (abbreviated) names rather than icons.
    Be easy to update.

Thanks for any info.

johnni

2. smbd

smbd

3. Cyps

Cyps

I was going to mention a program called Alphacuts which uses an alphabet style interface and is very fast and intuitive but I can't seem to find a link recently to download it. Thought I'd mention it though in case you come across it somewhere. It's one I can recommend.

4. johnni

johnni Thread Starter

smbd - I tried Launch Pad (which is a very old program) but, apart from not accepting drive letter shortcuts, it always remains on screen with no option to hide it.
    I found loads of references to Alphacuts in Google but none of the program download buttons were active; maybe it has been withdrawn.

By the way, I am using XP in case it makes a difference.

Any other clues, please?

johnni

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

6. Cyps

Cyps

Pity you can't find Alphacuts. I've looked at most of the free launchers and none come close. The brilliant thing about Alphacuts it would find everything on your C: drive very quickly and store it alphabetically in separate groups such as Applications, Documents, Internet links etc. All you needed to do then was hover your mouse over an alphabet letter and everything under A for example would show instantly. You then simply clicked on an entry it to launch it. You could also type in the name of a program or other and it would appear dynamically and instantly. The only caveat was it would only find things on the C: drive, but it was brilliantly simple, quick and intuitive. I have the program but alas, I suppose there is no legal way to distribute it even though it was freeware, and I'm sorry to whet your appetite for something which is unavailable now.

7. johnni

johnni Thread Starter

Cyps - thanks for the further information but from what you say I don't think it is what I am looking for. I don't want it to find everything on C: alphabetically, I want to place shotcuts of my choice from ANY drive i.e. my data drive D: my external HDD F: as well as some from C:, but nothing automatic!

Squashman - that is a very comprehensive list and with screenshots; it will take some time to go through and try some of the programs until I find the right one. I have already made a System Restore point in case of any problems with the trials!

I will let you know how I get on.

johnni

8. johnni

johnni Thread Starter

I tried a couple of the launchers in Squashman's link but wasn't entirely satisfied so I uninstalled them.

But right at the bottom of the link I found Hidden Menu, another fairly old program but it works fine with XP and does exactly what I was looking for. You can even change the background and text colour and have it pop up at any chosen side or corner of the screen.
    I believe you can have parts of it pop up in different places such as files here or programs there etc. - but I haven't tried that, preferring to have everything on one pop up screen.

Thanks, Squashman

johnn

9. lister

lister

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice