1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Looking for a replacement ACDC adapter for an older laptop.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ZorlinStarre, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ZorlinStarre

ZorlinStarre Thread Starter

I hope this goes here - I guess technically this is a hardware issue, but...

So I found out today that the ACDC adapter for my sister's laptop, an Acer Aspire 5315 ICL50, just... Stopped working. Dunno why. Doesn't work plugged into the outlet from any of the power cords we have that fit. This is important because the laptop is so old, the battery lasts about ten minutes on max battery life power settings with a full charge. Basically, they've used it for the last three years or so just leaving it plugged in all the time.

The problem is, I can't tell what I need to replace it with. The ACDC adapter has a part number of SADP-65KB D, but looking that number up gets me a whole lot of hits for adapters that look nothing like the one that we got with the laptop, all made for different companies/manufacturers. There's another number on the adapter under a bar code sticker - ADT AP0650101373509E5FP101, but searching that on Google gets me no hits at all. I'm confused because the results I get searching for 'SADP-65KB D' all seem to list similar numbers on the list of 'compatible systems', but that number doesn't seem to exist at all.

So until I get a replacement identified and ordered, my nephews are without a computer to use. Can anyone point me to a proper replacement - or at least tell me how to go about finding a proper replacement?
    This is the closest I've come to identifying an adapter that has a similar plug, but the list of Acer items it replaces looks rather specific, and I can't find any of those numbers anywhere on this adapter OR on the laptop's information, so...
    I dunno, I'm just very confused at this point and grasping for any help I can get.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Go onto Ebay and type 'Acer Aspire 5315 ICL50' into the search (without the quotes).

You will find plenty of chargers.

3. ZorlinStarre

I'm trying to avoid Ebay - my sister has had some bad experiences there and she's the one providing the credit card number, and no Ebay was a requirement. And anyway, the only charger listed on Ebay under those search terms ships from the UK.

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Try the search term in Google then, you should find something. Where are you ? USA ?

You can use the specs of the Ebay charger to find the correct one, the Voltage needs to be the same, the Current (Amps) can be equal or higher, of course the plug has to fit !

There are also 'universal' chargers that have switch-able voltages and changeable plugs.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

I went to the local Computer Barn yesterday and noticed a wall covered with laptop power supplies of every description. And it's a very small store.

6. prunejuice

prunejuice

Are you sure it's the power adapter and not the AC jack on the laptop that is faulty?

Older Acer AC jacks were notorious for this.

7. ZorlinStarre

I'm sure. The power light on the brick doesn't come on when it's plugged in, and when I seat the plug into the brick, I hear a loud electric pop. It's definitely shot.
    Elvandil: I live in an area so rural we have to drive an hour to get to a wal-mart, and it's a small one that doesn't care much in the way of electronics. There's a reason I'm looking online.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

9. ZorlinStarre

I'm aware that a compatible charger is probably easy to find, I just don't have a clue what I'm looking for in one. I can match the model number and the stats on the charger - volts, amps and such - but I'm not sure what size jack this is, and I'm not sure at all how to properly measure the plug to know what size I would need. A lot of my confusion is coming from finding plenty of chargers with the same stats, but with varying plug sizes that all claim to be compatible with the Acer Aspire 5315 series.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  11. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Zstarre, don't over-complicate things. If a vendor has an A/C adapter they say will work with your laptop, it probably will. Don't get fixated on adapter sizes; especially if you aren't sure about how the things are measured. Buy from a reputable vendor with a replacement guarantee, and you should be fine.

12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Nice device. I didn't know you could get auto-adjusting ones. I wonder how it does it ?

EDIT : I actually read at the link and it explains it's the tip that tells it !

13. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

I've got a couple of APC universal adapters for shop use, and I periodically have to buy new tips to keep up with newer model laptops. All the same, I think most of the cheap adapters on the market will give adequate service for most users.

14. ZorlinStarre

Well, I ordered a two dollar one from an Amazon store that claimed to work with this model, so we'll see. If it doesn't fit, I'm sure it'll fit one of the others, and I'll just order a universal one.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice