1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Looking for some help with MP3 files.

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Wallenberg, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wallenberg

Wallenberg Thread Starter

I have a large collection of MP3 files. Most of them are not just single tunes but are complete albums. They are stored on my PC and organized
    in a Windows file hierarchy starting with the name of the Artist, name of each Album, name of each tune in the Album. In addition, I have stored
    the Album's Genre and the year in which each tune was released. The Year is the same for all tunes on an Album. It is the year the album was
    released.

I bought an MP3 Player that I use together with Winamp (a s/w app on my PC which is like the equivalent of a juke box). I've transferred more than
    a thousand tunes back and forth from the PC to the Player. I thought I understood MP3 files fairly well. A single file has an area where people can
    store info about the tune. They can store the names of the Tune, Artist, Album as well as the Year the album was released and its Genre. The "Genre"
    is a text string like, "Folk", "Rock", "Classical", etc. There are about 100 recognized genres. The area containing all this info for each tune is
    called the "ID3".

I first noticed the Player was not correctly recognizing the ID3 info for one album. It was an album by a blues singer named Colin James. It was his
    debut album titled "Colin James" and was released in 1988. It contains ten tunes. The problem was that the Player seemed to show two of the tunes
    were for an album designated "Unknown Album". In addition, it showed that one of the songs had a title designated, "Unknown Title".

I know how to delete all the ID3 info for a given tune and replace each item in the ID3. I used Winamp to examine the ID3 info for each of the ten
    songs on the album and noticed a minor difference in the album name for two of the songs. So, to be certain that I knew exactly what all the info
    was, I took each of the ten tunes and deleted its ID3 info. Then I reset the info in the ID3 tag. I set the name of the tune to whatever was listed
    in the Discography on Colin James' web site. I set the Artist Name to "Colin James", Album Name to "Colin James", Year to 1988 and Genre to "Blues".
    FYI, the names of the tunes were exactly identical to what they were originally. But I changed all the info for each of the songs, just to be certain.

After resetting the ID3 info, Winamp still showed the name of the album for those two songs as "Unknown Album" and the name of that same song to
    "Unknown Title". I don't understand why. The album name is exactly identical for all ten of the tunes on that album. So why does Winamp report there
    is a problem with the Album Name for two of the ten songs? The Album Name is identical for all ten songs. So why does Winamp report a problem with two
    of the songs but not the other eight?

The most important question I have is, "How does Winamp get its info?" I might understand what was happening, if it accessed the Internet and examined
    a data base that contains the names of all (or most) artists and the names of all their albums and tunes on that album. But everything I discussed in
    this post happened on a PC that has no access to the Internet. I do know that certain apps do indeed access a data base to get all that info. But this
    is all happening on a PC that has no Internet access.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    There are several versions of "ID3". I don't use WinAmp for tag info, so I don't know which versions it supports. Different programs create or populate that information differently.

For tag info, I use mp3tag: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

3. Wallenberg

Wallenberg Thread Starter

Thank you Odba11. I will give that a try and see if it will resolve these problems. It will take me a few days because I have other matters to deal with in the next two days.

I'll let you know.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142262

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice