1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Looking to upgrade my video card. I could use a couple suggestions.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by audi0fix, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. audi0fix

audi0fix Thread Starter

I'm currently running a Geforce 9800 GTX+. Looking to upgrade to a card that can handle the Witcher 2, Battlefield 3 and, other high demand games well. DX11 capable is of course desired.
    Not a mega gamer but I like smooth game play. Price is a factor. Want to keep it as close to $200 as possible. Not saying I wouldn't fluctuate a bit if it will really make a difference though.
    I also only plan on using a single PCI express port. Not SLI or Crossfire.

PC Specs:
    AMD phenom 945 quad-core
    8 gigs DDR3 memory
    1 TB Sata 7200 rpm Hard drive
    Corsair tx650w PSU

Was consider this model:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125401

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What size power supply?

3. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

It is a corsair TX-650w so it is fairly capable of powering some good cards.

I would suggest that you go with something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150523

If you look at the website www.videocardbenchmarks.net you will see that the 2 graphics cards have the following scores

GTX 560Ti - 2968
    Radeon 6950 -3243

For an extra $10 you will get 300 more points on the scale. However if you don't want to spend an extra $10 then the GTX 560ti is a great card as well :)

Jack-O-Bytes

4. audi0fix

audi0fix Thread Starter

5. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

The website is owned by a company called Passmark, They have their own benchmark software which people install on their computers. Then the performance is recorded and an average performance score given to different models of CPU and GPU.

Jack-O-Bytes

6. audi0fix

audi0fix Thread Starter

Oh ok. thanks for the info. It may end up coming down to case size lol. The 560 is about an inch and a half shorter. otherwise the 6950 seems to be the better value. I'll have to measure.

7. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Well yeah I suppose so lol. That is the problem with most modern graphics cards.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024497

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice