Solved: loose connections

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jm100dm

I brought a co-workers computer home to clean out the junk. That has now been completed. When I first connected a monitor to their tower I had to replace the hold down nuts as they had broken bolts in them. It is a very loose connection to the monitor. Starting last night upon startup the keyboard alarm went off and I had to shut down a few times to get a good keyboard connection. Even tried a second keyboard. This morning it took around 6 tries to get the keyboard to work. Will a computer tech be able to secure these connections better or will they need to replace the mother board? Does this have to definitely be taken to a computer shop? If the mother board definitely needs replaced I feel confident I can do that. Thanks for any help with this matter.

If the connections are that loose, I'd go on and replace the MB with a new one - if I could find a similiar board. I'm just guessing here but you are probably looking at a $40 MB, verses a big computer shop bill.

jm100dm

Any help locating the correct or compatible motherboard appreciated.

Info From Belarc Report:
Operating System System Model
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 (build 2600) HP Pavilion 061
DF209A-ABA a200n 05*1211RE101GLEND10
System Serial Number: CNC3220QFX NA200
Enclosure Type: Other
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.40 gigahertz Intel Celeron
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: TriGem Computer Inc. Glendale
motherboard
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies LTD 6.00 04/25/2003
Drives Memory Modules c,d
40.00 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
21.66 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

CyberDrv CW088D CD-R/RW [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

WDC WD400EB-11CPF0 [Hard drive] (40.02 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCAATC685621,
rev 06.04G06, SMART Status: Healthy 248 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'J5G3' has 256 MB
Slot 'J5G2' is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 35.24 GB 20.94 GB free
d: (FAT32 on drive 0) 4.76 GB 720 MB free

jm100dm

Playing with the pins on the keyboard connection seems to hae helped the situation for now.

jm100dm

Thanks for the suggestion. If I continue to get alarms while booting I will look into one.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts