1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Loss of connectivity

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Carpe Diem, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Carpe Diem

Carpe Diem Thread Starter

I'm on a PPPoE connection and is under a Linksys Wireless Router.

My computer is connected via Ethernet cable to the Router. The computer is running Windows XP. My Anti-Virus is AVG Pro 8.

The Problem

Every night, I turn off the router because it is connected to a transformer which heats up quickly. Now, when I boot it up the next day, I lose my connectivity. I have to reset the Router settings and key it all in again, after then I'll regain connection.

Why am I losing connectivity?

Here's the stat of my ipconfig/all

Thanks to anyone willing to help! :D

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you give the exact model of the router

what are the settings in the router - are they correct and you just type them in again, or are they the factory defaults ?

3. Carpe Diem

My Router is a Linksys WRT54G v2.2.

The settings I key in the router are the username/pass for the PPPoE connection then I alter the wireless settings (passphrase and the SSID).

Other than that, I haven't changed anything from the factory defaults settings.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    in the manual FAQ section see this

5. Carpe Diem

Thanks for the help, but it doesn't solve the problem. :(

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Not sure what to advise - maybe someone else will

BUT
    Means it is behaving correctly - it may be worth discussin with your ISP see what period of time they disconnect the service

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Truthfully, if the router loses it's settings from powering off, it's defective. Since the transformer gets hot as well, that's another sign you have hardware issues.

I think it's time for a new router.

8. Carpe Diem

My father called our ISP and they said there might be a problem with the line. I'll post once they confirm anything.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You still apparently need a new router. ;)

10. RetroGuy

RetroGuy

Hey Carpe Diem,
    This will probably be useless advice, but do you save settings to flash after you finish configuring the router? If you're losing settings after doing a restart, either you're forgetting to do that or have a faulty modem.
    This might have started happening the last time the routers was/got reset and you reconfigured it, but didn't save the settings to flash. Most routers require you to do that so that they would keep the settings after you power off and on the router.

11. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Carpe Diem,

What is the current status of this problem? I'm in a similar situation where I'm troubleshooting an intermittent PPPoE connection issue using a Linksys WRT54G v8 (8.00.5 firmware) not consistently reestablishing the connection on its own. I'm having to login to the router and manually issue the connection. After upgrading the firmware from version 8.00.2 to 8.00.5, the router seems to consistently reconnect now but it can take a little longer than desired and I'm getting a strange subnet mask assigned and a different IP address than I expect.

In any event, where does this issue stand with you right now?

Peace...

12. Carpe Diem

Hey folks,

Good news! :D I've solved the problem. It seems that I was using a faulty Ethernet cable. I was using a 'cross-over' cable as the guys at the PC center called it. They said that routers should have standard cables not 'cross-over' cables since those cables are for computer to computer not computer to router cables.

Thanks for the effort, guys. I appreciate it.

13. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Thanks for the update. :)

Peace...

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/790006

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice