1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Loss of Help & Support and System Information

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by be4con, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. be4con

be4con Thread Starter

I'm not sure when this problem occurred as these are services that I seldom use but I had reason to do so this morning and found I was unable to launch either service.

Yesterday I performed an upgrade re-installation of XP in an attempt to deal with some boot up and occasional BSOD issues I had been having that had eluded all other repair methods I had tried. I did this in a last ditch attempt to cure the problems before committing to a laborious clean install.

I do not know if the loss of these services pre-dates the re-installation. The boot up issues were resolved by the re-installation. I have had 2 BSOD crashes since the re-installation though whilst I was trying to solve the problem :(

I have searched for solutions to this problem and have so far:
    • replaced my index file in C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\OFFLINECACHE
    • performed a complete rebuild of help center
    • run Windows File Protection to verify and replace protected files

None of these have solved the issue.

As an aside - I doubt this is relevant - I have also been suffering from an unusual issue with the volume being constantly zeroed (not muted - the slider is set to zero) every time that I reboot. This requires me to reset the system volume to desired levels every time I reboot and is frustrating, but hardly life changing. I have looked through all options on my sound card and in Windows Sound and Audio Devices and can't find a reason as to why this would happen.

I don't think the issue is malware related. I run Avast Professional, Adaware SE, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, Preempt, Look n Stop Firewall.

Any suggestions much appreciated. Whilst I await answers I'm going to go through a selective boot procedure and see if I can get the services to work in safe mode.

Thanks

2. be4con

be4con Thread Starter

I have solved the issue. Shortly after I posted this (using Firefox) I realised that IE7 was also not launching. I uninstalled IE7, then re-installed IE8. This seems to have cured the Help Center issues. All that for a piece of software I almost never use and would rather wasn't on my system!

I still have the irritating volume issue, so I'll re-post that as a separate problem and mark this thread solved. Thanks for reading! :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/923721

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice