1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Lost access to any microsoft websites

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by d6500k, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. d6500k

d6500k Thread Starter

I've a good internet connection via a dlink n. No problems with firefox V3.6.3 or IE v6 browsing save for Microsoft sites, which are installed on an older Toshiba laptop running xp and service pack 2.

Not that I needed any data from Windows or Microsoft, but I find it interesting that I cannot get any of their websites to come up.

I've just ressurected this laptop which I only used with an offline program that was work related. I thought I'd update via the windows update and found the IE/Firefox message
    Same on IE.

Just using the windows firewall and no joy even with it temporarily disabled.

Weird to me that the ONLY sites affected are MS based.

Thanks guys!

Doug k

2. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
    Click Start, and then click Run.
    Type cmd in the Open box, and then click OK.
    At the command prompt, type net stop wuauserv, and then press ENTER.
    Type rmdir /s %windir%\softwaredistribution\wuredir, and then press ENTER.
    Type net start wuauserv, and then press ENTER.
    Try to install updates again.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919749/en-us)

3. d6500k

d6500k Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply!
    '
    Did what you said, recv'd. "System error 1058 has occurred '
    " The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it".

I cannot remember if I have disabled anything in the past.

Why would it be just the Microsoft sites affected? I've checked for blocked cookies/sites etc. None.

Anyway, I'll be listening!

Doug k

4. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
    Do you have your XP installation cd ? If so click Start / Run and type in sfc /scannow ( make sure to leave a space between sfc and /scannow ) Then click OK. Have the cd ready as it will ask for it when it finds missing files.

5. d6500k

d6500k Thread Starter

After reading every thing I could find.... it turned out to be the malware fix. I downloaded and ran "malwarebytes" followed the directions and and now waiting for interminable downloads from MS. But at least I can get them thanks to all of your help and those before.

Thanks guys!

Doug k

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!