1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Lost Addresses

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Jimbeauxlsu, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jimbeauxlsu

Jimbeauxlsu Thread Starter

Here's what happened. I have a new Vista pc and I need to get my email address and old emails. The problem is is that my old pc is not displaying on the old monitor so I have taken out the hard drive and have transferred all my old files to the new vista pc. I was running my emails thru Outlook Express but as we all know, Vista does not use Outlook Express anymore. I have established my two email addresses on windows mail and I'm getting email but would love to get all my contacts back and old email addresses.

Any advice?

Jimbeauxlsu

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Any advice?"

If I had that problem I'd try these two things:

a. See if I could find anything about "import" in the Windows Mail 'Help.'
    b. See if I could find an "import" function, maybe in the 'File' menu, and see if I could import anything from OE.

3. Jimbeauxlsu

Thanks for the help TerryNet. I'm searched all over but I think I'm going to have to reinstall the hard drive into the old pc and borrow a monitor and see if I can start export procedures in OE. I'm found plenty of info on this but was hoping all this could be found on the hard drive.

Thanks,
    Jimbeauxlsu

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi Jimbeauxlsu

Do a Search on the slaved drive for .dbx files.
    If you had more than one Identity in Outlook Express, the .dbx files will be in more than one directory.

For example:
    X:\Documents and Settings\User Account Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{Long Number}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

The {Long Number} will be different for each additional Identity.
    Where X is the drive letter of the slave drive.

In Windows Mail use the Import feature and Browse to the location of the Identity's .dbx files you want to Import.
    As I understand it, part of the directory path will be duplicated. If you get the No Items Match Your Search, you may need to correct the directory path.
    http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#oe2wm

Let us know if that helps or not.

If that works, then all that you would need to recover is the Address Book from Outlook Express?

5. Jimbeauxlsu

Thanks for the edit on the earlier post.

I'm still doing research on the problem. I found the OE files on the old harddrive. I'm thinking of burning the OE info to a cd and installing on a pc with OE and seeing if I can then work thru the export procedures that I've been reading on the net.

Still not sure how I'm going to get my old emails back but the chase is on!!!

Thanks for your assistance.

Jimbeauxlsu

6. Jimbeauxlsu

I found my email contacts and restored them to windows mail. I was able to sleep better last night after finding the correct files.

Jim

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!