1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Lost all files and folders on backup hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by imawriter, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imawriter

imawriter Thread Starter

I found a notice on my computer that told me I had lost data at H... (my backup, external hard drive). I think there was a yellow triangle on my system tray to indicate this. As soon as I clicked on it, it was gone.There is now nothing in my backup, external hard drive except the names on the folders and files. All are empty.

So how do I copy all files and folders from My Documents to my H drive now? And is there anything else that I probably lost that I should copy also?Thank you in advance.

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    If you want to take all the folders in your my documents folder and copy them to your h drive, hit ctrl + a in the folder. This will select everything. Then you hit ctrl + c to copy it all. Go to your h drive, hit ctrl + v to paste it all. You can also right click and select copy and paste; i just like the keyboard shortcuts better.

You asked if there was anything else you lost. That depends on what was being backed up. Was it a backup of the whole system, or just a backup of data files?

3. imawriter

imawriter Thread Starter

When I go to My Documents, I am taken directly to 28 files and folders. One is labelled Personal for all my private information and the others have individual information on a variety of subjects. Do I need to follow your advice one file or folder at a time?

4. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Once you open the my documents folder, do ctrl + a there. This will copy everything at once. This saves you much time from copying each folder or file. So as soon as you open my documents, use ctrl + a there. Do not open any folder within my documents, or you will only be copying the contents of that folder.

5. imawriter

imawriter Thread Starter

I tried again. When I still click on My Documents icon on my tray, I get a page that has a folder marked Personal and all the other 30 individual folders. I do not see a folder marked My Documents. How do I find it?

6. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Ha. When you click on my documents icon on your tray, all those folders you see (the personal and the 30 other folders) is everything that is in your "my documents." So once you click on the "my documents" icon on your tray, you will see all your folders (your folder named personal and 30 other folders). Then, you click ctrl + a. All this does is highlight all the folders for you, so you can copy them all at once. You could also right click each folder, select copy, go to your h drive, right click, and select paste. This would take much longer, but it's another way of doing it. You could also hold down the ctrl key and left click each folder and then right click, select copy, go to your h drive, right click, and select paste. That is 3 different ways of copying each folder from your "my documents" and placing it into your h drive. The ctrl + a is just easiest, because it highlights everything for you, instead of you having to copy each folder individually or clicking each folder individually. Am I making sense?

7. imawriter

imawriter Thread Starter

Sorry for delayed response. I was away. When I came back I decided to try turning off my external hard drive at the source, waiting for about a minute, and turning it back on. It works when I lose Verizon and do this with my modem, so I thought that maybe it would work with my hard drive...and it DID!

But I am saving your advice it case it happens again. Thanks.

8. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    So it showed as all your files gone? But when you turned it off for a minute, it showed all your files back? That's strange. Glad you solved your problem. Thanks for marking the thread solved.

9. Intel_Xtreme

Intel_Xtreme

Are you using a CIT branded HDD caddy? This happened to me today, except that the drive didn't spin up and Windows said 'please insert a disk into drive E:\'. Turned the HDD caddy off for 10 mins, turned it back on and it works properly again.

Weird how computers work sometimes....

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088484

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice