Solved: Lost CD Key?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

carrothersju

So I want to reformat my computer and reinstall XP Pro on a clean slate. However, after moving my mobo, drives, etc. to a new case, I found out that I didn't transfer/write down my old WinXP Pro CD Key! (Doh!) The catch is that XPPro came pre loaded on my computer (abspc.com). Is this something that...

a) Contacting Microsoft can reissue/lookup my CD Key?
b) Contacting abspc.com can reissue/lookup my CD Key?
c) Am I screwed and have to go buy another XP Pro copy?

Any help would be beneficial!

If XP is still on the HD you can use 'magical jellybean key finder' to get it.
You'll have to do a google search but it's free...

dud

Hi,

Install AIDA32 then look under Operating System. It will show you the Product key there.

:cool:

carrothersju

That might be an option. There also could be a slight problem with that, which is an odd story at best. I recall that this installation of XP came from my friend's copy of XP Pro (Corporate, I think?). If I take that CD Key, would it work with my XP Pro CD?

If you have a Corporate version of XP and it came from a friend then it's considered a pirated OS - and no, the key wouldn't work on a legit copy of XP.

carrothersju

Well crud, stinks to learn that I may be using a pirated copy. Guess doing a reinstall would be a benefit. Any ideas on how I can get my key back when it's not what I have installed?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you can't boot the original copy of XP, you're pretty much SOL. Also, there are a number of different "flavors" of XP, and the key series are unique for each series. An OEM installation key wont' with with a retail or volume license XP disk, for instance.

carrothersju

I'm going to assume that means that if the OS that I use is not the exact same one that is on my CD, I'm SOL? Can I boot off the CD or look on it in some way to determine what it's unique key is?

We don't allow discussions on hacking Windows license keys on this forum. If you have a legal copy of Windows call Micorsoft and they will assist you, which I have done. They are usually very supportive.

carrothersju

Not trying to hack Windows, Dan-O. But in a roundabout way, your post helped out. I DO own XP Pro legitimately, and if you say calling Microsoft to get a new key is the way to go, then you've solved my problem. ;-)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
carrothersju said:
I'm going to assume that means that if the OS that I use is not the exact same one that is on my CD, I'm SOL? Can I boot off the CD or look on it in some way to determine what it's unique key is?
To answer this question, the CD doesn't contain the key, they are mass produced with exactly the same content.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online