1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: lost cdrom

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by norrby, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. norrby

norrby Thread Starter

Hi
    I have a Writemaster TS-H552B DVD/CDROM drive
    Yesterday it suddenly decided not to write or read any CDs but the DVD side is fine for reading and writing.

Looking in My Computer I used to have two drives showing for this but now only the DVD one on show.

Inserting a CD into this drive it is not recognised and will not become active.

I have tried disconnecting ,rebooting ,re connecting ,rebooting (found new hardware) but still missing the CD side

Welcome any solutions
    The drive has not had any big use and no Games

Thanks

Norrby

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. norrby

norrby Thread Starter

Thanks for quick response
    I will probably settle for a new drive as I think you may be right regarding a cure
    I will check out a few reviews on the most suitable drive

Thanks again

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Drives are not too expensive now, and as I said, very few (any?) people who have posted here with this problem ever got it solved.

For me, the problem started after a firmware update. And I can assure you that I tried everything to fix it, from using cross-flashing to other firmware versions, to taking the drive down to its components. The problem seemed to be with the electronics of the drive and was never solved.

It may be worth trying an update, but in the end, you need to ask how much time you wish to devote to the problem. If you have a spare drive to try, it would quickly eliminate the OS or computer as the culprit.

5. norrby

norrby Thread Starter

Thanks and I have decided to renew my drive

NECND 354OA has been recommended so will check out prices tomorrow

Norrby

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you can spare the cash, a new drive will be the least painful solution.

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the button above.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758193

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice