1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Lost connection to printer, (error 0x0000005) windows 8

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Omar99, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Omar99

Omar99 Thread Starter

I have a Brother HL-2040 printer and a newish ASUS desktop computer with Windows 8. Printer worked fine for a while, but suddenly has gone "offline". I tried a replacement cable but no luck. The only significant change just before this happened was the installation of a new webcam.
    I have tried going though Control Panel, and find that the printer is suddenly "offline."

I go to "See What's Priinting and try to uncheck "Use Printer Offline" but it is greyed out. Then I think click "Open As Administrator" and am able to unclick it, but still can't print anything. Windows says "Printer in an error state." At one point (can't remember exactly when) I got (erro 0x0000005).

I am not particularly computer savvy, and Windows 8 in particular often baffles me. I would really appreciate some help with this. Thanks1

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i would remove the programs for the printer and do a re-install again of the full software
    this often happens on HP printers and a re-install usually resolves the issue - I have seen this once before on a brother printer

3. Omar99

Omar99 Thread Starter

Thanks. This did not work. Although I was able to find the old installation disk for the printer, there was really no software to uninstall and reinstall -- just the printer drivers, which are already included in Windows 8.1. However, I did find an answer that seems to have worked, and I wanted to share it here. In Control Panel I went to Device Manager. There, under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, I clicked on USB Printing Support, and got a window saying it had been disabled. So I clicked on "enable" and followed a couple of steps, and bingo! I got a message that the function had been successfully enabled, and the queued print jobs started printing. No idea what caused the function to be disabled -- the window said it usually happens because a device is not functioning properly, but it seems the printer is working fine. Anyhow, fingers crossed that it keeps working after I reboot...
    :)

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Thanks for taking the time and posting the solution, that may be useful for others searching here or google
    You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the page of the thread in the upper left corner. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice