1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Lost desktop folders on old hd

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 1johnny1, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1johnny1

1johnny1 Thread Starter

I recently installed a new hard drive in my laptop, installed a new clean copy of xp-sp2. No problems. Put the old HD in a case with a USB connection so that I could retreive my files/programs... but most of them were in folders on the desktop, and the X:/My Documents/User/Desktop folder is empty. (Win Explorer is set to display hidden and system folders)
    I've checked every location I can think of, and I can't find those folders/files.
    Any ideas?

2. jnibori

jnibori

Just curious.

Does it show the correct amount of used space on the old HDD, equal to what it should be if you could see the files/folders? And have you tried using a search utility on that drive?

3. 1johnny1

1johnny1 Thread Starter

The file size looks correct. I've used windows and google desktop search, still can't find the files. Even used PC Inspector to recover lost files, but that didn't work, either... maybe I should try a dos box... hmmm...

4. jnibori

jnibori

Still curious.

So, you've removed your old internal HDD and replaced it. You've sealed the old HDD and created an external HDD, which is connected to the same laptop. Now the laptop recognizes the external HDD, however none of the data can be seen - but the data is detected as used space. Can you move data from the laptop to the old (external) HDD?

5. bbearren

bbearren

6. 1johnny1

1johnny1 Thread Starter

Sorry I didn't make this more clear. I can see some of the files on the old hd, BUT i stored a lot of files in folders on the desktop Now, I can't find any of those files (my whole music collection!) A couple of shortcuts show up in the F:\docs & settings\user\desktop folder, but none of the folders that were stored there. I can, however, see and move other files/folders from the Program Files folder to the new hd. I didn't make any changes to the old hd. just unplugged it, jumpered it to Slave, then put it in a USB external hd case

7. jnibori

jnibori

No clue. Sorry :confused:

8. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Just a shot in the dark, but anything is worth a shot...

Rather than being saved to your user account (X:\Documents and Settings\user\desktop), was it saved to All Users?

9. 1johnny1

1johnny1 Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've looked in every folder on the old hd (that I can see!) including \user, \all users, \owner, etc.

This is really kind of a general question: Where does Win XP store (file path) the files that are created "on the desktop"?

And is the fact that there is/was an active copy of Win XP on that old hdd the reason I can't find those files? (Does the old copy of Win XP need to boot for me to see those files?)

I thought they were stored in a \Desktop folder, somewhere. Even when I search the old hdd for *.mp3, I only find the sample music files, not my collection, which should still be on that drive. (And I searched for "desktop", too. Still nothing.)

10. bbearren

bbearren

11. 1johnny1

1johnny1 Thread Starter

I reinstalled thte old hd into the laptop, was able to reboot and see the old desktop. I copied all of my important files to a regular folder in the C:\ directory, and now I can get them from the old hd into my new one.
    BTW, taking ownership did not help me, but thanks for your advice!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543185

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice