1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Lost file

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by hpetito, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hpetito

hpetito Thread Starter

My HD failed but I had run a backup just before. I restored from backup. It created a Hilda PC user and I also have a Hilda user so I transferred all of my files from Hilda PC to Hilda and deleted the Hilda PC folder. I went to open a .doc file I use frequently and was not able to find it. I had just used it an hour earlier so I know I have it on the PC but now I can't find it. I even ran a retrieve deleted files software in case I had inadvertently deleted it and it didn't show up. I have done a complete search of my PC and external HD and I can't find it.I am nervous because it contained some sensitive information. It has to be in my PC somewhere; is there anyway to find it?

2. ILoveXP

ILoveXP

What is Hilda? Sorry but I don't even see this on google, can you explain what it is

3. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

i suspect hilda is the pc names
    Hilda
    and
    Hilda PC

4. hpetito

hpetito Thread Starter

Yes Hilda and Hilda PC are the user file folders. The file reappeared; I have no idea what happened but an hour later I came back to my computer and went back to my document folder and there it was; didn't even have to search for it. That was so strange and a little scary that a file can disappear just like that; almost as if someone had taken it and then put it back???

5. hpetito

hpetito Thread Starter

Another thing that seemed strange; this happened in the early morning when it went missing. I just opened the properties for my document and it has it being created at 11:26 am???? Isn't that strange...Thanks guys for your time.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Files don't disappear and re-appear.

Make sure you have all your files copied to the new computer, and then disconnect the external hard drive with the backup copy. You should be copying files to system folders like C:\Documents and Settings\Hilda\My Documents. Is that where you're copying files to?

Are they still there, and do they open after you completely disconnect the backup drive? I suspect you may be copying shortcuts around or you're copying files to folders you should be like system or hidden folders.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1064701