1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Lost HDD, Can't Reinstall OS Even w/ New HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dllang89, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dllang89

dllang89 Thread Starter

A desktop recently failed on me, and I'm not sure why it happened. At first glance, it appeared to be a basic HDD failure. The problem is, I can still see the drive in BIOS, but I can't boot from the OS disk to either repair or reinstall the OS. I tried using a brand new HDD and got the same result. It goes directly to the attached screen no matter what I try. Any help would be much appreciated.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I dont see a HDD on that screen ?

It has a DVD and a CD showing on the First cable
    and nothing on the 2nd cable

wheres THE HDD ??

3. dllang89

dllang89 Thread Starter

That would be my problem. If I were to go into BIOS, I can detect the HDD there, but if I start the PC and let it run, it goes directly to that screen and stays there. No prompt to insert the OS CD or anything.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    strange - although there would not be an OS on a new harddrive - it should still be seen in bios - What happens when you boot off the CD or DVD to re-install the OS
    you may need to select the boot order in the bios to boot from the CD or DVD first whichever you plan to use

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is it a SATA drive? What make/model of machine?

6. dllang89

dllang89 Thread Starter

In order:

etaf-

If I tell it to load off the CD or DVD drive, it goes to that screen without hesitation.

I've already changed the boot order to look to the CD drive first. It still goes to that screen.

Elvandil-

It is a SATA drive, but it listed in BIOS as IDE.

As for make/model, it's a custom build I put together over the summer that has worked without issue until now.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

There you go. No SATA drivers in XP.

Installing XP on a SATA drive
    Install Windows XP on SATA without a Floppy
    Resolving "Setup did not find any hard disk drives" during Windows XP Installation

"Many newer BIOS allow an Alternate method for SATA . . Go into the BIOS and check the 'Sata Operation' setting, change it to 'Raid Autodetect/ATA' if it is not already. Now try to install XP (Verbiage will vary by manufacturer)" - Courtesy of simpswr.

BIOS settings to try:

8. dllang89

dllang89 Thread Starter

Okay, I tried switching it to RAID from default of Native IDE, but no good. When I first installed the original drive, which is also SATA, I didn't have this problem. That installation went without a problem. As to the links you gave, I can't get the installation prompt to appear. No matter what settings I've tweaked in BIOS, the screen I attached to the initial post is the end result. Maybe the problem is with my motherboard, not the HDDs.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

They're SATA drives, but the BIOS lists them as Master and Slave? There's no Master/Slave configuration with SATA.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'm thinking there is also an IDE connector on the board that is unused.

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It doesn't show any SATA connections, used or unused. Something related to SATA should show up if it actually has SATA ports.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, there is a lot about all this that does not seem to add up. I may be wrong about the IDE. That was just my immediate thought when I saw that picture, assuming the SATA stuff may be on a different BIOS page. But....don't know.

13. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It doesn't even look like an actual BIOS screen. It looks like a boot screen. There just isn't enough information such as the actual BIOS configuration or motherboard.

14. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Actually that does look like a VERRRRRY old bios POST screen. Similar to what I used to get my my 386 and 486 systems, except for the references to the DDR2 Ram, the CPU Speed and the L1 and L2 Cache.

15. dllang89

dllang89 Thread Starter

Alright. I got it working again. The SATA port on my motherboard was the cause. I plugged the original HDD into a new SATA port and I was back in business. Thanks for all the effort, everyone.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/894367

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice