1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Lost HDD Partition - Disaster

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by compuv, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. compuv

compuv Thread Starter

Hello all.

I'm using Win 98 se and have an 8GB HDD partitioned into 4 x2GB drives. Today Windows suddenly shut down as I was working (no big deal - it's done it often enough before) but on rebooting I found I'd lost all partitions except the active one.

I can't see them under DOS's FDISK either. How can they have just disappeared? Have they gone for good or is there anything I can do? I'm absolutely desperate and would be most grateful for any help.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Could be a virus has messed up your master boot record. I have never heard of extented partitions just going away after a reboot....something else is going on here. Were these partitions on another drive or were all partitions on one drive. Too weird!!

3. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

There isn't a way to recover data on the lost partitions. You'll have to restore it from backup.

4. compuv

compuv Thread Starter

Got my hands on a fantastic piece of software by Ontrack called "Fix-It Utilities". It looked at the free space on my drive and found all my files - amazing! Best £40 I'll ever spend. So easy to use as well.

I've still no idea why it happened though - very strange.

5. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

That's great! I'm glad you found that software. It's still best to back up your data though. Even the best utilities can fail sometimes, but I'm happy it worked out this time.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60939

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice