1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Lost internet connection when setting modem to simply bridge to router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Sh4d0wDS, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sh4d0wDS

Sh4d0wDS Thread Starter

Earlier today I attempted to change the setting on my Westell 6100 modem such that it would simply bridge the connection to my Linksys WRT54GS router, basically involving setting the router to bridge only and turning DHCP off. Now I no longer get an internet connection through my router when previously the connection had worked perfectly fine before. I following the steps of cloning the MAC address to the router and have done the proper resetting steps (computer, them router, then modem) but I simply can't get an internet connection through my router. The process to set up simple bridging from the modem what supposed to end up with the internet light no longer turning on but the light turned back on following one of the resets.

Currently, I can connect to the internet through the modem just fine but I get nothing when I include the router. I'm not sure if there are some other settings I'm supposed to be changing as I can't seem to find anything past what I've already done when researching online. At this point I would just be happy reverting the settings I've changed but I don't know how to access the modem now that DHCP is off.

Basically, I'd prefer to be able to get the router working with these new settings but if that proves too difficult (as I've heard it can be when trying to get Westell modems to work with Linksys routers) I'd like to learn how to access the modem and change the settings back to what they were (preferably in as simple terms as possible as I don't particularly understand what a lot of these settings/configurations do).

(And a bit of an aside, but I had attempted to do this modem bridging to "fix" perceived internet speed problems. I've been averaging around 300Kbps download rates ever since I've had this internet connection from Verizon when the supposed download rates should be between 1MB and 1.3MB. Doing this modem bridging had been reported to fix some modem/router conflicts and improved connection speeds for some.)

2. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

If your computer gets internet when connected to the modem, unless you changed the modem's IP address, you should be able to access the modem in the normal manner from the computer.

Other option would be to do a "factory reset" using the button on the back of the modem. You would need to reprogram the modem to work with Verizon. Verizon DSL username and password.

3. Sh4d0wDS

Sh4d0wDS Thread Starter

Using the default 192.168.1.1 following doing the factory reset on the modem only allows me to reach a "User Settings" page where I can only change the username/password for the modem. If I change the information it simply accepts the changes and then sends me back to the exact same screen. If I click on any of the other tabs inside the interface they all load the same "User Settings" page to change the username/password.

4. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

It is asking for the login user name and password so you can access and program the modem.
    standard default is-
    username: admin
    password: password

Verizon might be-
    user id: your verizon.net user id
    password: your verizon.net password

5. Sh4d0wDS

Sh4d0wDS Thread Starter

The page shown isn't the standard login screen. It has areas to enter the user name, a new password, and retyping the new password. There is never a check to log in to the modem. I've tried all of the standard modem logins (admin/password, admin/admin, etc.) along with my verizon.net info and nothing changes. Following entering information into the three areas, it does a final check asking "Are you sure you want to change the User Name and Password?" and upon confirming simply reloads the same page.

Before the changes in settings yesterday it always had the standard modem login process (a pop-up asking for username and password) and never required any verizon.net information. This login pop-up no longer appears at all when attempting to load 192.168.1.1.

6. Sh4d0wDS

Sh4d0wDS Thread Starter

Well, here's the follow-up.

Hard reset on both the router and modem was resetting the local IP for both to 192.168.1.1. Before this had been changed via the modem (setting it to 192.168.2.1) but because of the issues with accessing anything on the modem this couldn't be done. For the time being I had to change the local IP for the router to 192.168.2.1, but this wouldn't simply work. I had to change the IP in the router menus, following which required an IP release/renew. In order to complete that I had to plug directly into the modem, then release/renew the IP, and then plug my setup back in as usual.

I ended up contacting Verizon about the issues with the modem and they said it was likely a defective modem and sent me a replacement free of charge. Everything, including the modem, is now working perfectly (and I no longer have issues with my internet disconnecting daily!).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1010142

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice