Solved: Lost IP Address

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SamFetlock

On my WinXP SP2 desktop, after coming out of hibernation following a successful browsing session, no internet connection was possible. In checking it out, I found that the computer no longer had an IP address.

I received "Windows is unable to renew your IP address" after clicking on Repair in Local Area Connection status.

If I Start/Run/command/ipconfig, the computer no longer has an ip address nor a gateway address.

I did nothing to the computer before hibernating it after a successful browsing session. It came out of hibernation to the Windows blue screen indicating a device or driver conflict. The bottom line on this screen showed that the error perhaps was somehow related to "GoBack2k.sys" (I am running Norton GoBack and it has been, and continues, to operate normally).

I tried "ipconfig /renew" and received a timeout noting "unable to connect to your dhcp server".

How do I get an IP address assigned?

Thank you.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
This is not uncommon for Windows, one of the many issues when using hibernation.

TerryNet

Terry
I agree with JohnWill. Many times my laptop will reconnect to my wireless network very nicely coming out of hibernation. Other times I have to Restart. Sometimes to make sure I won't have to restart I disable the connection before hibernation and then reenable as soon as it awakens.

SamFetlock

Thanks to all who replied. Yes I tried rebooting. I used Norton GoBack. I used the LAN connection Repair, all to no avail.

Then I went to dinner and that did the trick. When I returned, the IP address had reappeared as mysteriously as it had disappeared.

Judging by the various replies, the problem may be related to Windows hibernation. Perhaps it is but I've been hibernating this machine for 4 years without problem.

Thanks again to all respondents.

I am travelling in a motorcoach and use my cell phone as a modem. When using any dial up your isp assign s you a different ip# each time you go on line. When using dsl /broadband it is my understanding that your ISP assigns a 'static' number...
Below is what I got one time when I went to the www.whatismyip.com site a few months ago.

Your IP Is 198.5.186.250

WhatIsMyIP.com is the fastest and easiest way
to determine your IP address.

Courtesy of WhatIsMyIP.com
IP Command Lines IP Addresses Explained

i would think a quick ipconfig on windows or ifconfig on Linux and Mac i don't know would be quicker, and if you cant access the web you cant get to whatsmyip.com.
from what i gathered from my ISP which is cable. they give you dynamic IP as a static IP would have to be associated with your computers MAC address. say you got a new computer you need to call them to change the mac address they have.. happened to me on DSL.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online