1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Lost Microsoft Word Document

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by puppypaws, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. puppypaws

puppypaws Thread Starter

I am using Office 2000 with XP Pro, IE8, and SP3. I had three pages typed in MS Word for a newspaper article and lost everything except the first two paragraphs. I've never had this happen, so I certainly have no idea of what caused the problem. I was wondering if there is anyway to recover my information, there was a great deal of thought and work involved in this document. I would greatly appreciate any help I may receive, this has been energy draining as I have tried to recover this information to no avail.

Thanks for any help someone may be willing to offer.

Reid

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    First off (I have to ask) have you looked in the recycle bin - just in case.

If not, Recuva (freeware) often recommended here.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

... and for the future, I find FileHamster useful at maintaining running backups
    http://www.filehamster.com/

Hope this helps?

Richard

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Looks like you saved the document to a temporary folder. Were you working on the document from an email message?

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    When you're creating a document that's lengthly, it's a good idea to stop every few minutes and save what you've typed so far.

All it takes is a power flicker(if your computer isn't connected to a battery backup unit) or accidentally closing it without saving it first.

You didn't mention where you keep your documents saved, so you might consider creating a folder on your desktop and naming it "Saved Documents" and then saving them there until you're ready to move them elsewhere.

-------------------------------------------------------

5. puppypaws

puppypaws Thread Starter

I saved the document, and honestly have no idea of how it only retained two paragraphs.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You saved it to where? Did you create it from scratch?

7. puppypaws

puppypaws Thread Starter

I created from scratch, and save into documents. Never had this happen before, and I do this quite often so I am very confused as to where it could be hiding.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You created a brand new Word document in the My Documents folder? Then you opened it from that folder, made changes, and saved it? Then when you opened it again, the changes were gone?

9. puppypaws

puppypaws Thread Starter

I wrote the document again, so I am marking this solved.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025633

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice