1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: lost my external drive ??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by skooterbum, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skooterbum

skooterbum Thread Starter

i'm frustrated !! :confused: :confused:

i went through the process of making a "sector by sector disc clone" of my "C drive" with my Easeus backup program. i read all the information they had for this process before i started. which there wasn't much of by the way...

now after doing this, my external "I drive" has been re-located / re-assigned to "location 0". now i have to get into my disc management to be able to see the drive. i can't tell if my clone attempt even worked:( :( :(

what did i do wrong ??

what can i do to get my external drive re-set back to my "I drive"

i did format the "I drive" before making the clone. i don't know if it was needed though ?????

again, any help will be greatly appreciated !!

thanks,
    ron

2. Megabite

Megabite

Can you assign a drive letter to it in Disk Management and have you also tried giving it a name.

3. skooterbum

thanks Megabite, i will see if i can figure out how to do it.

thinking about what happened last night, when i tried to back my system up onto the external drive. i have about 13gb of used space on my internal drive, that i was trying to copy over. and when i clicked on the backup button, it only took about 3 or 4 seconds for the task to complete, then it stopped.

i'm thinking that i probably have little to no information that got transfered onto my external drive, and for some reason the drive letter was changed, and when that happened, it caused the process to stop.

does this sound logical ??

ron

4. skooterbum

got it back !!

THANKS MEGABITE !! for nudging me in the right direction. the drive is showing again, where it's supposed to. i got the drive letter re-set, and now it has a name.

now, to try again, to make a clone copy of my operating system...:eek: :eek: :eek:

they say insanity is doing the same thing, over & over again, expecting different results. i think i better do something different this time....

ron

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!